RCTgo Forums

Full Version: Portem!ne's layouts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone ! A few weeks ago, I decided to make a layout + supports only topic inspired by zeroG's Gravity|kinetics. I tend to be very slow with foliage and theming whereas I can get things done very quick when it comes to building a coaster with its Steel Jungle supports. Still, I try to make my layouts look as realistic as I can, paying attention to the pace, smoothness of a coaster. Most coasters were inspired by real ones as I try to mimick the respective manufacturer's layout style.

Anyway, here's the latest coasters I've "semi-completed" so far. All of them are set in a dark-texture map to avoid RCT3's ugly, cartoony green grass. Hope you'll enjoy and feel free to criticize Smile

[Image: hyroni10.png]

While it isn't a proper recreation, Hyronimas looks very similar to KK's acclaimed Lightning Run. As its real-life counterpart The Chance/Morgan hyper-lite features a steep drop, an "overbanked" turn and lots of small airtime hills including some lateral, banked ones. Moreover, the supports and close track crosses provide plenty of scary headchoppers. This red beastie's short size is very deceiving: once onboard it offers a very intense and thrilling experience !

[Image: hyroni12.jpg]
[Image: hyroni10.jpg]

-----

[Image: distor10.png]

This small B&M invert is, in a way, an attempt at making my own Batman The Ride. While not rectangular shaped, Distorsion's compact and forceful layout and its flat location means it is a good candidate for shameless cloning. Actually my inspiration for this ride was Flight Deck at California's Great America instead of the maiden inverted at SFGAm. The layout indeed only display a V Loop, Zero G and Flat Spin as inversions. But it offsets nicely that with an overbanked turn followed by a nice 270° upward spiral and a swift S-turn before the final brakes. Oh and the first drop is curved and quite steep, too !

[Image: distor15.jpg]
[Image: distor14.jpg]

-----

[Image: apollo10.png]

With it's Captain America's vibrant colours and flatness, Apollo has the makings of your stereotypical Six Flags parking coaster. Even more compact than the previous two entries, this Stand-Up ride is inspired by B&M's very first coasters, Iron Wolf and Vortex, as well as SFOG's Georgia Scorcher. Adding to a looping and a flat spin, numerous twisty turns with some of them purposely close to ground compose the layout.

[Image: apollo10.jpg]
[Image: apollo11.jpg]

-----

[Image: cobalt10.png]

Intamin's airtime machines are many enthusiasts' favourite coaster type as well as mine. With Cobalt I struggle with RCT3's restrictive coaster editor to create a classic Megacoaster in the style of EGF and Goliath (Walibi) with new elements that the bold Swiss manufacturer would certainly add as it always does in real life. As such, the layout features forceful airtime hills as usual but also a crazy and very twisty double S-turn taken at full speed as well as a reverse Stengel Dive which delivers a surprise but powerful airtime. With its blue and cream colour pattern, Cobalt feels like a perfect match for a forest landscaped theme park in search of a thrilling addition.

[Image: cobalt17.jpg]
[Image: cobalt18.jpg]
The Reverse Stengel Dive: half-overbanked turn, half-camelback in the opposite order of Goliath's regular SD.

[Image: cobalt15.jpg]
these are really nice looking coasters! I can't wait to see other things you post
Amazing!!! You are a good builder.
Thanks guys for the positive response Smile

To fill the gap before your next update I'd like to show you one of my early projects :

[Image: compro10.jpg]
[Image: compro11.jpg]
[Image: compro12.jpg]

Compromise was my 2012 return project to RCT3 after almost 4 years non-playing the game, but also a project very different from what I've made before or since. The creation was an entry to a dueling coaster contest on CoasterForce and I chose to pair an Arrow looper (named Classic) with a B&M Inverted (named Current). This unusual showdown paved the way towards pretty fun interactions including an "Interlocked Zero-G" and a Cobra Roll opposing an Overbanked Turn. What also makes Compromise special is its weird geometric-shaped terraforming which was obtained using the concrete texture on exposed terrain tile edges. In order to highlight the whole "New vs Old" idea, the music for each video was a different rendition of Super Mario Kart's Rainbow Road theme, with the Arrow one using the original theme, and the B&M Invert using a remix. With hindsight, whereas this dueling has a lot of flaws (no CTRs, supportwork, kitsch theming and crappy video quality), but it remains a project I really had fun making and it still stands as some crazy experiment I fondly remember.

Second video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...tuui_y5gBA
Hey, I've seen this on YouTube before! Welcome to RCTgo! (◕‿◕)
Nice coasters. Almost feels real.
@ Chimalion : Thanks for the welcome Smile That's funny you saw the POV years ago Tongue

@ Blu : Thank you Smile I aim at making my coasters feel as genuine real-life manufacturers' design (except for the RCT3 crappy angles ^^) so I really appreciate your comment !

[Image: tamago10.jpg]

Here's a teasing to what's coming up next ! The full update will come this afternoon.
[Image: tamago10.png]

Tamagon is a small but fast-paced Premier Rides LIM Catapult Coaster which combines its familiar launch, twistiness and forceful inversions with the numerous ejector airtimes and deceiving small height of the Megalites. A sound recipe that should meet success with park owners and the general public alike !

[Image: tamago15.jpg]
After a little downward turn the train halts to a stop inside the tunnel. Thanks to Parallax's Fading Tunnels it is set in complete darkness ! From there the riders are launched up to 88 kph (55 mph) in under 3 seconds. While the catapult may feel soft compared to Intamin and S&S counterparts, it still packs a punch.

[Image: tamago12.jpg]
The train then clims the 27m (88ft) top hat. Nice pop of airtime especially for those at the back Smile
A 4G vertical loop instantly follows taking the riders from one intense G-force to another.

[Image: tamago13.jpg]
Airtime hill, Overbanked Turn and Corkscrew in quick succession.

[Image: tamago14.jpg]
A 360° helix concluding with another Overbanked Turn !

[Image: tamago16.jpg]
Overview

I decided to share the coaster on RCTgo for those interested. The file is in Start New Scenarios format and contains the ride plus its supports and a small amount of terraforming. Feel free to expand on it and customize it as you wish, but don't forget to quote my work in the original layout and supportwork in your topics/videos !

Greetings,
Portem!ne
That looks awesome.
Thanks !

[Image: gust_l10.png]

What if Arrow still existed nowadays ? I was saddened by the loss of the Utah manufacturer after X's troublesome debut in 2001/2002. Many Arrow coasters aged very badly, and are bashed for their roughness, bad transitions and plain layouts compared to B&M or Intamin. But not only Arrow made historical achievements in the roller coaster industry, they also - ironically - fixed up most of their shortcomings by the year 2000. Tennessee Tornado @ Dollywood is the prime example of this : henceforth using the heart-line principle, an Alan Schilke-led Arrow created a smooth and intense layout almost matching B&M's excellence. Featuring 4 inversions, an overbanked turn and 2 airtime hils, Gust is my attempt at making another 2nd Generation Arrow Looper that blends the compact and forceful experience of Tennesee Tornado with new concepts and revisited old ones for the US manufacturer.

[Image: gust_310.jpg]
For the first time, Arrow tries its hand at the Zero-G-Roll. Its shape slightly differ from the original B&M version, and was described as a mix between a heightened Corkscrew and a zero-G.

[Image: gust_510.jpg]
After making its debut on the ill-fated Drachen Fire, the Cobra Roll returns on this pale red looper. Adding to the new style support introduced with Roller Coaster in 1996, Arrow corrected its calculations to prevent any headbanging this time around.

[Image: gust_610.jpg]
Helix time !

[Image: gust_810.jpg]
Arrow reinvented its classic inversion, the Corkscrew, to conclude the layout. Note that the Corkscrew rotates anti-clockwise as opposed to most Arrow flat spins.

[Image: gust_o10.jpg]
Overview. I took feedback into account and added some terraforming to compliment the coaster. I tried not to overdo it and to make smooth hills that you see in many forests.

Enjoy !
Portem!ne
Pages: 1 2