RCTgo Forums

Full Version: Mechanic Issues :
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been plying RCT2 for years. At one point for longer periods of time. over the summer I play it more due to be off of work (I work in a school) my question is this, for as long as I've been playing the one thing that always gives me the most issue are my mechanic placement. RCT2 you need to place the mechanic at the exit. I know. still, some times they just walk back and forth. respond...walk back and forth, never going in at time to fix the ride. so I ask this...what is better placement of entrance to exit? one on each side of ride? is side by side an issue? I high light the walkways in blue before you ask. lol like I said, been playing a long time. I use OpenRCT. what else...would spacing out the rides be best for mechanic location...less confusing for them? Any feed back and points would be great. seems to be my only issue as always and I would like to settle this issue once and for all. give me all you can on mechanic placement before my head explodes!!!! ty...

=)
When a ride breaks down the game will assign the first mechanic on its list that isn't assigned anything else; this could mean a mechanic will come from the other side of the park while a half dozen others walk past the broken ride. If you have a mechanic assigned to that area and he is already going to inspect or repair other rides, the latest breakdown is added to his list ...and he will mosey to it at his leisure. Placement of queue lines and exit lines is irrelevant, however if you are assigning patrol zones to your mechanics make sure those zones cover both lines up to and including the ride itself (if you only highlight the path the mechanic stays on the path and cannot go to the ride).

I assign all my mechanics to patrol zones, but have a free roaming mechanic for every four or five with assigned zones (they pick up the slack if the others are busy, and are also available for those cases where a patrol zone doesn't cover something). I also assign a dedicated mechanic to the pool complex; it seems this zone needs to cover the entire pool area and the queue lines for all pool rides for that mechanic to be efficient.

Spacing the rides farther apart merely means the mechanics have father to walk.

One point about queue line and exit line placement, for repeat riders they should be within four tiles of each other; guests who really enjoyed the ride will exit and get right back in line, otherwise they may wander off. Also do not put two queue lines directly across from each other, the AI does not handle decisions well; though placing the exit of one across from the queue of another works well.
That was VERY helpful! TY!!
Just joined to community so sorry for the late reply. Hopefully you have reply notifications on. Smile But yes, I have seen the mechanic go in to repair rides from both the entrance AND exit, especially if the ride has the two different station platforms. So I would try setting your mechanic's zones to cover a closed path between the entrance and exit of the ride.

Also - I find the guests, in general, get "confused" if you make them walk in just a 1x1 square. So if you are limiting your mechanic to just one square of walking space outside your exits, that could be part of the problem too.
I found today some excellent posts by SlopsBucket and JGF that are lengthy in another thread but they include differing opinions on how to handle Mechanics duties. In the Complete Edition I decided to take the 3rd scenario well beyond Tycoon level just for the heck of it. After using maybe 2/3 of the space I decided to assign 3 each Janitors and Mechanics in zones 1 & 2, and 3 Janitors but 2 Mechanics for zone 3 which is a little smaller but has the Pool relatively close to shops, vendors and a couple rides. My meager efforts so far brought my Park Rating up to 990+ even though I haven't done much with scenery, but I have plenty of benches, garbage cans, some Photo Spots, etc. Nothing great. However, my results and experiences coupled with reading postings in this forum may drive me to "try" to create a more logical layout from the beginning of my next scenario. It is very interesting to read other folks' strategies, logic, and see their layouts. I'm sure the developer of RCT made the game to be somewhat forgiving and challenging at the same time as you progress through a career. I look forward to reading more in this forum. Thanks for listening to my 2 cents worth of rambling.

Cheers.

I forgot to add, maybe pause the game to look at the thoughts of peeps leaving and entering your park. Some clues you take to heart, others with a grain of salt. The rest is often trial and error along with getting the benefit of others detailing their experiences here. We were all beginners once. Fun times!