RCTgo Forums
RCT3 Excitementrating - Printable Version

+- RCTgo Forums (https://forums.rctgo.com)
+-- Forum: The Games (https://forums.rctgo.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: RollerCoaster Tycoon Discussion (https://forums.rctgo.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: RCT3 Excitementrating (/thread-19407.html)

Pages: 1 2

Excitementrating - madbasflava - Aug 11, 2014

What is your biggest excitementrating for a coaster without costum scenery?
I can`t get higher then 10.1 so far... anyone tips?

RE: Excitementrating - sixflagsgr8 - Aug 11, 2014

I have gotten coasters in the 9's if you place a ton of scenery like a ton and many trees.

RE: Excitementrating - Rudy18 - Aug 11, 2014

The highest i ever got without custom scenery was a wooden coaster in rct2 with a 10.6. It had other default scenery though

RE: Excitementrating - madbasflava - Aug 12, 2014

(Aug 11, 2014, 09:10 PM)sixflagsgr8 Wrote: I have gotten coasters in the 9's if you place a ton of scenery like a ton and many trees.

I did the same in my last scenario haha, all the disaster scenery and even in a tunnel,trees,water etc, i finished on a 10.1 :-)

RE: Excitementrating - Terry Inferno - Aug 12, 2014

I've made it above 11 several times, but none of those coasters will ever be available for individual download unfortunately since they're all terrain coasters. I only build coasters of that magnitude when I turn money off, but without ride tickets, an excitement rating that high serves no practical purpose other than bragging rights. I focus more on building smaller coasters with excitement ratings above or around 9 so I can place them in any park and generate higher ticket profits. I never use custom scenery, so all of my designs use nothing more than the elements from the original RCT2 game.

But since you asked, the highest excitement rating out of any coaster in any of my saved RCT2 games currently stands at 11.67. It's a tunneling giga coaster around 13,000 ft long with an initial first drop of over 400 ft and a maximum speed of around 120 mph. It runs through the same park--and I say "runs through" because the layout of this park consists primarily of longer coasters that run all over the park rather than just sit in one confined space--as my second highest-rated coaster, a tunneling hyper-twister with an excitement rating of 11.59. I'll give a cookie to whomever can find the three screenshots of this park that already exist on this site. Wink

All of my saved games from before December 2011 are lost forever, so I don't know for sure if I've ever topped that or not, but I can give you tips on how to build coasters with excitement ratings higher than 10.

1. Tunneling coasters--the ones that frequently go underground--always have higher excitement ratings than their entirely above-ground counterparts. Scenery will always help, but building at least some of your coaster's drops partially underground is one of the best things you can do for your coasters' excitement ratings. Ironically, the highest excitement rating I can remember putting on a wooden coaster thus far was on one built entirely above flat ground. It's a terrible little coaster, but I managed to knock it up to 10.16 in 6,421 feet of track. Once I have more free time for RCT2, I'll make it my goal to get to at least 11 with a woodie.

2. Being in close proximity to other coasters and rides does wonders for excitement ratings, even more than scenery does. The highest excitement ratings I've ever achieved have been with coasters that constantly intermingle with several other rides throughout the length of the track. Plenty of scenery and subterranean drops will always additionally raise your ratings, of course.

3. Choose your coaster types wisely. The easiest coasters to hit 11+ excitement ratings with are gigas and hyper-twisters, and with enough practice, you could do it with a floorless coaster as well. These are coasters that are built to be fast and massive. Don't waste your time with coasters aren't built for speed, such as regular stand-up coasters or any of the suspended/inverted ones. Any coaster where the intensity rating generally reads higher than the excitement rating is not worth the effort.

RCT2 secret: You can hit surprisingly high ratings with one ride that isn't even a roller coaster, and it's even easier than reaching them on any roller coaster if you have enough money. Of all rides, splash boats will give you the highest rating based on the amount of effort and skill it actually takes to build them, which is almost none at all compared to any roller coaster in the game. A long enough track--at least 5 minutes of ride time--with big enough drops is almost guaranteed to score you above a 10. I've done it many times, and because the game does not allow them to have intensity ratings that go up anywhere near 10, there is no limit to how big or how ridiculous you build them other than how much money and space you have. They ALWAYS pay off quickly when it comes to ride tickets.

4. Certain elements are more exciting than others, depending on the coaster. On a tall coaster such as a giga coaster or a hyper-twister, you won't break the Extreme barrier as easily with just tall drops and airtime. High-speed curves, even at 100 mph, will do more for your coaster than you think, as will low hills at high speeds. One coaster I considered entering in a Build It round last year has one 300-ft drop, followed by a series of high-speed curves and low hills. In over 7,000 feet of track, the train rips through it all in 1 minute 40 seconds, and most of that is from the lift hill alone, so you can understand what the rest of the ride must be like.

5. Certain scenery contributes to excitement ratings, while some scenery does not. Don't spend too much time with fences and walls, because although they do look good, they don't add anything to your coaster's excitement rating. Blocks, roofs, and even curved walls are your best friend when it comes to excitement-boosting scenery. Themed scenery objects such as mine shafts, dinosaurs, and even trees will always be helpful too, but those are best used in moderation since they look terrible when your ride is overstuffed with them.

If there's anything else you would like to know about excitement ratings, I should be able to answer any questions you have. Excitement ratings above 9 are my specialty when it comes to certain coasters, after all. Wink

(Aug 12, 2014, 04:44 AM)Terry Inferno Wrote: I've made it above 11 several times, but none of those coasters will ever be available for individual download unfortunately since they're all terrain coasters. I only build coasters of that magnitude when I turn money off, but without ride tickets, an excitement rating that high serves no practical purpose other than bragging rights. I focus more on building smaller coasters with excitement ratings above or around 9 so I can place them in any park and generate higher ticket profits. I never use custom scenery, so all of my designs use nothing more than the elements from the original RCT2 game.

But since you asked, the highest excitement rating out of any coaster in any of my saved RCT2 games currently stands at 11.67. It's a tunneling giga coaster around 13,000 ft long with an initial first drop of over 400 ft and a maximum speed of around 120 mph. It runs through the same park--and I say "runs through" because the layout of this park consists primarily of longer coasters that run all over the park rather than just sit in one confined space--as my second highest-rated coaster, a tunneling hyper-twister with an excitement rating of 11.59. I'll give a cookie to whomever can find the three screenshots of this park that already exist on this site. Wink

All of my saved games from before December 2011 are lost forever, so I don't know for sure if I've ever topped that or not, but I can give you tips on how to build coasters with excitement ratings higher than 10.

1. Tunneling coasters--the ones that frequently go underground--always have higher excitement ratings than their entirely above-ground counterparts. Scenery will always help, but building at least some of your coaster's drops partially underground is one of the best things you can do for your coasters' excitement ratings. Ironically, the highest excitement rating I can remember putting on a wooden coaster thus far was on one built entirely above flat ground. It's a terrible little coaster, but I managed to knock it up to 10.16 in 6,421 feet of track. Once I have more free time for RCT2, I'll make it my goal to get to at least 11 with a woodie.

2. Being in close proximity to other coasters and rides does wonders for excitement ratings, even more than scenery does. The highest excitement ratings I've ever achieved have been with coasters that constantly intermingle with several other rides throughout the length of the track. Plenty of scenery and subterranean drops will always additionally raise your ratings, of course.

3. Choose your coaster types wisely. The easiest coasters to hit 11+ excitement ratings with are gigas and hyper-twisters, and with enough practice, you could do it with a floorless coaster as well. These are coasters that are built to be fast and massive. Don't waste your time with coasters aren't built for speed, such as regular stand-up coasters or any of the suspended/inverted ones. Any coaster where the intensity rating generally reads higher than the excitement rating is not worth the effort.

RCT2 secret: You can hit surprisingly high ratings with one ride that isn't even a roller coaster, and it's even easier than reaching them on any roller coaster if you have enough money. Of all rides, splash boats will give you the highest rating based on the amount of effort and skill it actually takes to build them, which is almost none at all compared to any roller coaster in the game. A long enough track--at least 5 minutes of ride time--with big enough drops is almost guaranteed to score you above a 10. I've done it many times, and because the game does not allow them to have intensity ratings that go up anywhere near 10, there is no limit to how big or how ridiculous you build them other than how much money and space you have. They ALWAYS pay off quickly when it comes to ride tickets.

4. Certain elements are more exciting than others, depending on the coaster. On a tall coaster such as a giga coaster or a hyper-twister, you won't break the Extreme barrier as easily with just tall drops and airtime. High-speed curves, even at 100 mph, will do more for your coaster than you think, as will low hills at high speeds. One coaster I considered entering in a Build It round last year has one 300-ft drop, followed by a series of high-speed curves and low hills. In over 7,000 feet of track, the train rips through it all in 1 minute 40 seconds, and most of that is from the lift hill alone, so you can understand what the rest of the ride must be like.

5. Certain scenery contributes to excitement ratings, while some scenery does not. Don't spend too much time with fences and walls, because although they do look good, they don't add anything to your coaster's excitement rating. Blocks, roofs, and even curved walls are your best friend when it comes to excitement-boosting scenery. Themed scenery objects such as mine shafts, dinosaurs, and even trees will always be helpful too, but those are best used in moderation since they look terrible when your ride is overstuffed with them.

If there's anything else you would like to know about excitement ratings, I should be able to answer any questions you have. Excitement ratings above 9 are my specialty when it comes to certain coasters, after all. Wink

good tips! but does it all work in rct3? because I only play rct3 platinum Wink

RE: Excitementrating - Terry Inferno - Aug 12, 2014

More or less, the basic ideas should still be the same. I haven't really played RCT3 in years because it doesn't work on my current computer, but the concept of raising excitement ratings through placing coasters near each other, partially underground, and surrounding them with scenery does not change throughout the RCT series even if the way excitement ratings are calculated differs slightly. All the tips should still apply, with the possible exception of #5, since I cannot remember if walls add to excitement ratings in RCT3, and I have far less experience with that scenery than I do RCT2.

Different coaster types may offer different excitement ratings from their RCT2 counterparts, and the new coaster types that are found only in RCT3 can sometimes also be useful. The extended coaster might be one of the best coasters to start with, as would be the giga and hyper-twister coasters--I'm not sure if the hyper-twisters still generate the highest excitement ratings on average the way they did in RCT2.

Unless Platinum fixed the splash boats height glitch, you may have noticed that there are no height restrictions on splash boats until you install either Wild or Soaked. I built some that were over 1,000 feet tall, and although the lift hills felt like an eternity and a half, the excitement ratings were well above 10. After installing those expansions, I could only build splash boats up to 190 feet above ground, but there were no restrictions to how low it could go, so I repeated the 1,000-foot drop method with a slightly shorter lift hill.

I also remember a weird go kart feature where if you built the track very long but in a very small space and set the number of laps to the maximum amount, you could see an excitement rating closer to 20, which seems impossible for any coaster built solely from track types available in RCT3 and its expansions. Go karts are always terrible for profits, but if you build them the right way, you'll see excitement ratings like you've never seen before.

Wow Terry Inferno you take a lot of time to answer my question. Thank you very much!

I think trying and learning is the best strategy. My favorite coaster is the expendable one. It has al the turns loops cars etc etc
With that one I will try to get a 11+ coaster. I will sent you a message wen it`s done :-)

RE: Excitementrating - terminator3d3700 - Aug 13, 2019

(Aug 11, 2014, 11:45 PM)Rudy18 Wrote: The highest i ever got without custom scenery was a wooden coaster in rct2 with a 10.6. It had other default scenery though

Why are you talking about RCT2? This thread is for RCT3.

I apologize for being so mean and cruel. But, why are people posting anything about RCT2? This thread is for RCT3.

RE: Excitementrating - Retsarge - Aug 13, 2019

The Highest I've gotten were both CTR's , if that counts. I ran the tests before using Custom Scenery and on the F-22 Raptor I got Excitement rating of 25.60 on the London Blitz I got 53.55. When I put in the Custom scenery the rating didn't really go up that much, but then I need more experience in customizing my coasters.