RCT3 [Req] Newbie tips and tricks

Hi jgf,

I'm glad you're pitching in and responding to people here, it seems a very quiet forum these days. It's also very pleasant to have an online conversation with someone who writes well, that's becoming less common these days. You are very easy to read and very informative.

I'm using that Major Rager base map to try and achieve a personal goal, I want to create a park that makes better than 5000 a month profit.

I'm playing with this map in the scenario editor, I don't particularly want to "play the game", I just want to make a successful park. I will be taking your advice and including a couple of animal enclosures as well as playing with other ideas.

Please take a look at the screen shots below of my progress so far, it has surprised me how many hours I've spent just to get it this far. I also include a link to a copy of my map as it currently stands.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2hlrdvfg4z...r.zip/file

I have made each of the 4 entrance areas identical, except for the trees. I laid them all out the same first with hedges and all, but after that I just machine gunned it with many different types of tree. I should have taken a little more notice of which trees I was placing where, some rides ended up with slightly better excitement values than their identical counterparts at other gates. The only difference between them is the mix of trees that surround them.

The middle of the park is where I'm putting everything else. It has 4 coasters so far and I think that's as many as it's going to get. Now I need to add every other ride that hasn't already been included.

This park is going to need a lot of janitors and mechanics. I'll go through when I'm near finished and set all of the ride's service times to Every 20 Mins. So far I have never set patrol areas for mechanics or janitors, I have found that if you have enough of them and they're well trained that you no longer have to micro-manage those aspects of the game. The exception to this rule is the train ride.

There's 4 stations and that means there's 4 different control boxes where the mechanic does his work, if you let them sort this one out themselves then the "closest mechanic" that gets assigned the job might travel all the way across the map to get to the particular control box that has the fault. Here's a trick I found that works:

Work it the same way as when a shop breaks down. Pause the game, pick up a mechanic and place him at the front of the queue next to one of the train ride entrances, then click on the train ride at that gate and down the bottom in the right hand corner you can click on the button to call a mechanic. Then when you unpause the game that mechanic goes to that control box and fixes the ride straight away.

That train ride is by far the largest earner in any park I have built so far. It works really well. There's 4 stations and 8 trains. It takes 30 seconds to travel between stations, each train waits for 15 seconds at each station and they seem to regulate themselves reasonably well. After the first year, when queues are big enough, you can change those settings so that they always wait for a full load. That maximises your profits and the trains still mostly regulate themselves fairly well. It carries a maximum of 192 passengers at 2 dollars a head, roughly 8000 an hour profit.

I will set a couple of Ride Events around that train ride afterwards but there's something else that has an even greater effect on the ride excitement, that's when a couple of roller coasters go over the top of the train ride. For some reason the peeps love that. Going over the top of the train ride also increases the excitement value of the coaster.

The very centre of my park is actually a park surrounded by food and drink vendors, lot's of benches and rubbish bins, fireworks, the whole show. I still need to put in that many again food and drink vendors closer to the outsides of the park. A few T-shirt and Cowboy Hat vendors too. Some more sun-burn cream vendors and a few more information booths. There's plenty of toilets, and nicely spaced ATMs and First Aid Stations.

It will take quite a few more hours before I can run my park and see if it's going to get close to my goal of 5000 a month profit. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it performs.

In all the games I play I mostly like creating scenarios and maps more so than actually playing the game. For this reason I almost never install modded scenery or textures. If I create a map using nothing but the defaults then anyone can load and install my map and see it as I intended them to see it. If I use custom scenery then I am creating maps for only the people that like using those custom scenery packs.

Thanks again for your input, jgf.

Cheers,

Andrew.

P.S. I'm with you on the ducks.

Just a few updated notes on the last map I posted.

First up, the coasters are too expensive. They're all currently set to 4.50, you have to knock that back to 3.00 on all 4 of them.

I used the Frontier cheat so that I didn't have to worry about mechanics then played the game on fast forward to see what I'd get. Interesting to note that even with the Frontier cheat you still have to have at least one mechanic. He doesn't have to do anything but every ride must have access to a mechanic.

I added 12 fully trained janitors and I never assigned patrols to any of them. I had an average chuck factor of around -20.

Without adding any other attractions, just putting that map on fast forward, you get more than 1800 people in the park and make about 2000 a month profit.

That park is only about one third filled. I'm aiming for more than 4000 people in the park and more than 5000 monthly profit.

I reckon I can do it.

But the proof of a pudding is always in the tasting.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
[Req] Newbie tips and tricks - by slopsbucket - Jun 9, 2020, 01:54 AM
RE: [Req] Newbie tips and tricks - by slopsbucket - Jun 11, 2020, 04:25 AM
RE: [Req] Newbie tips and tricks - by jgf - Jun 12, 2020, 02:18 PM
RE: [Req] Newbie tips and tricks - by slopsbucket - Jun 13, 2020, 12:11 AM
RE: [Req] Newbie tips and tricks - by slopsbucket - Jun 14, 2020, 10:51 PM
RE: [Req] Newbie tips and tricks - by jgf - Jun 19, 2020, 12:33 AM
RE: [Req] Newbie tips and tricks - by slopsbucket - Jun 21, 2020, 01:21 AM
RE: [Req] Newbie tips and tricks - by jgf - Jul 6, 2020, 03:43 AM