RCT2 Running RCT2 on a netbook with no CD drive

Hello all,
I have an old netbook (Asus Eee PC) and I decided that it would be great for old PC games like Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, but it lacks a CD-ROM drive. I ran this game a few times on this laptop by using an external USB CD-ROM drive, and it ran well, but I'd like to play the game wherever I bring my laptop without having to use the external drive. I've tried the registry tweaks mentioned in a YouTube tutorial to direct the setup path to the correct location in "C:\Program Files", but the game still asked for the CD and refused to start. I even made a .iso image of the CD and tried emulating a CD-ROM drive with MagicDisk and WinCDEmu, but the game failed to load with both (no error message, nothing). I tried Full and Minimal installs with each method, but it didn't seem to make a difference. My OS is Windows XP SP3. I don't want to use a no-CD crack unless I have to, and I strongly discourage piracy. Any ideas?
(Jul 14, 2014, 11:01 PM)pikachewbacca Wrote: Hello all,
I have an old netbook (Asus Eee PC) and I decided that it would be great for old PC games like Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, but it lacks a CD-ROM drive. I ran this game a few times on this laptop by using an external USB CD-ROM drive, and it ran well, but I'd like to play the game wherever I bring my laptop without having to use the external drive. I've tried the registry tweaks mentioned in a YouTube tutorial to direct the setup path to the correct location in "C:\Program Files", but the game still asked for the CD and refused to start. I even made a .iso image of the CD and tried emulating a CD-ROM drive with MagicDisk and WinCDEmu, but the game failed to load with both (no error message, nothing). I tried Full and Minimal installs with each method, but it didn't seem to make a difference. My OS is Windows XP SP3. I don't want to use a no-CD crack unless I have to, and I strongly discourage piracy. Any ideas?

I'm not sure if this is the same thing of what you tried already...when I downloaded the game after purchase, I made a backup copy of it on my flash drive. I've been able to use it on my computer. Previously I had a notebook and it ran okay it didn't have a cd drive either. (Disclaimer: If you try this, I hold no responsibility for what may happen) Here is my suggestion for you...If you have a copy of the game...set up file etc I would save it to a flash drive (at least 6 GB) . Also, I have had to delete the ATARI folder on the hard drive and re-install everything. Once you have everything saved on the flash drive I would try re-installing the game. I have RCT3 Platinum version so I am not 100% sure if this would work for RCT2. Other people on this site may have better suggestions. But this is what I have tried and thought I would share it with you.Smile Please note: I don't know if you will be able to copy the RCT2 version from the CD. If you contact the place where you purchased it they may be able to help you to.
I can copy files from the CD to anywhere. I tried reinstalling and running it from a USB flash drive, but it still tells me to insert the disk. I know RCT2 uses an early version of SecuROM as a copy protection scheme, so maybe there might be a workaround.

It's also worth noting that I can run RCT1 (original 1998 version, no expansion packs) just fine without the CD by using the registry tweak to direct the SetupPath to the corresponding folder in Program Files.
I'd be able to help you if it was RCT3, but I don't have a solution for this.
[Image: AMUDExV.png]
I do have RCT3, but I don't know how well it will run on this netbook which has a 900 MHz processor and integrated graphics.
(Jul 14, 2014, 11:01 PM)pikachewbacca Wrote: Hello all,

I found some additional information I thought might help you. This is for RCT3. I hope it helps you. System Requirements. See attached screenshot
and I am providing the direct link:
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/CYR.../10227?p=r
I was able to run the game without a without a cd-rom. However, I had a downloaded version.
I may have gotten this for Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 so I don't know it they are the same requirements.
Sorry about that. Either way, I hope it helps.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edit: Nevermind.
[Image: AMUDExV.png]
I think I'm just going to buy the games from Steam. The RCT2 Triple Thrill Pack is only $10, which is pretty cheap and includes the two expansion packs. My laptop's specs are to low for me to consider running RCT3 on it, though.
(Aug 7, 2014, 01:51 PM)pikachewbacca Wrote: I think I'm just going to buy the games from Steam. The RCT2 Triple Thrill Pack is only $10, which is pretty cheap and includes the two expansion packs. My laptop's specs are to low for me to consider running RCT3 on it, though.

If you have a USB port you can get an external CD-ROM Drive and then use the CD version of the game. I had to do that with my previous computer because it didn't have a CD-ROM (I had a small notebook pc). *In your manual for your computer you may want to see if you can add more memory. My old computer only had 2GB of memory an ASRE computer. RCT3 ran okay. I'm only telling you this because I've read about people having issues with Steam games. But as always it's your decision. Smile
(Jul 17, 2014, 10:31 PM)Blu Wrote: I'd be able to help you if it was RCT3, but I don't have a solution for this.
i would like to buy rct 3 for my advent netbook but i cant find anywhere to by it on a usb.
do you have any solutions for me