Alton Towers :: General Disscussion

What do you think of All UK theme parks? What would you like to see in the future? What do you think is the best ride i n the UK? Let us know.....
Alton Towers is unreliable, they need more mechanics on them cablecars
-=RCT3X GUARDIAN=-
NOW -=RCT3X REBEL=-

[Image: ev0l0uo.jpg]
Theres no woody Biggrin

Alton Towers planned to open one of the biggest wooden rollercoasters in the world for the 2007 season. The planning application was drawn up for a massive Intamin New Generation wooden coaster that would include drops of about 200ft down into the valley behind the gardens, with a footprint spanning from Ugland to Forbidden Valley.

The coaster was soon met with fierce opposition from residents who complained about noise levels and Alton Towers bosses fought back well, gaining support in many areas. However, eventually the council turned against Alton Towers and despite over 500 letters of approval from rollercoaster fans around the UK, the planning application was withdrawn, and one of the most amazing rides that could ever have been built was sent to its grave.
-=RCT3X GUARDIAN=-
NOW -=RCT3X REBEL=-

Do you think we will see a woodie at Alton Tower? I think we might!
We might i have no clue :?
-=RCT3X GUARDIAN=-
NOW -=RCT3X REBEL=-

On March 3rd 2003 Alton Towers submitted plans into the Staffordshire Moorlands planning offices for a giant wooden roller coaster, stretching over from a site behind Ug Land, right accross to Forbidden Valley! The scale of this out and back roller coaster is huge and with near 200ft drops in the land levels on the site it has the potential to be one of the worlds most exciting rides.
The wooden roller coaster proposed is an out and back ride, the station is on a piece of land behind Ug Land, the trains which hold 30 people (made up of 5 cars each holding 6 persons) exit the station and climb a lift hill up to tree level. It then makes its way out towards Forbidden Valley through the woodlands, though a number of turns and drops. The land has servere drops of some 200ft and the track keeps quite close to the landscape. The ride comes within feet of Air, it appears through the woodlands near the Air queue line bridge where there is a second lift hill which is slightly smaller than the first. The coaster then makes its way back towards Ug Land, through the woodlands. It would seem that the ride does not take Corkscrews place, but will fit in the land behind the photo booth.
All new rides at Alton Towers have problems with planning consent. The first problem to overcome is the tree line, rides should not spoil the view and go above the tree line, it seems that Alton Towers have made this application mostly below the tree line with the exception of the second lift hill which is about the same level as Airs' inline twist. According to the supplementary tree guide, 142 trees need to be removed (12% of trees in ride area, but less than 2% in the woodland area). The planning detail is remarkable, with every tree listed by height, type, exact location and condition. Obviously tree removal would have been neccessary, but will this number give the planning consent meeting room for concern.
A supplementary report shows data from Megaphobia at Oakwood and states that noise pollution is no grounds to dismiss this application.
Unfortunately the wooden roller coaster plans have been withdrawn; the reason for this was due to a few issues regarding the noise and the height of the coaster, Alton Towers have said they plan to resubmit an amended plan of the roller coaster to make sure the plans donĂ¢t get denied. The new plans will hopefully be submitted before the end of the season.

see pictures here:::::

http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plan49in.jpg

http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plan39ss.jpg
they can't make it too high or they will get grief from the local villagers again ! :cry:
[Image: tpsig19pz.jpg]
I would be awesome, trouble is Woodies are quite noisy and are quite dense in the building circle.We do need a Woodie in this country....i think after abit of tinkering, Alton will pull it off...... they need to hurry up though.
G Force Junkie Wrote:I would be awesome, trouble is Woodies are quite noisy and are quite dense in the building circle.We do need a Woodie in this country....i think after abit of tinkering, Alton will pull it off...... they need to hurry up though.
yep, its a shame the the few local vilagers are often able to overthrow the thousands of people that go to alton towers. but yeah a woddie would be nice especialy a hyper.
Would be nice to see another Hypercoaster, besides the Big One.But Hypers are traditionally 200ft+ so i doubt it will be going Alton.I go for the Woody, so smooooooothh Biggrin