Poll: Does this idea seem fun?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
83.33%
5 83.33%
No
16.67%
1 16.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Just an idea, looking for feedback.

Just as a disclaimer, I'm not completely against anything here, I just want to see people's creativity, and provide a fun way to enhance people's skills for the Build It Competition, or just have fun!

Anyways, I've come up with an idea for a contest or a few. I like the idea of the Build It! Competition, but why not make things interesting and add a few limitations to it?

A few things I was thinking of regarding limitations would be...
  • You must build it in a certain game (This would be a rare limitation if this idea is liked a lot by the community!)
  • You must build a certain type of coaster (i.e. You must build a Junior Rollercoaster)
  • No CS allowed
  • You must build it with a set amount of space. (i.e. It must be 10x20 squares or smaller)
  • You must build a coaster under a certain height (i.e. It must be under 90 ft tall)
  • It must be an indoor coaster
    (More Limitations would be added if more are thought up)
Just to clarify, there'd only be 1-2 limitations per round! Not all these limitations at once ^^'

Of course, I'd only accept a total of 5 entries per round, just to make it harder to vote for one and provide more members an opportunity to submit an entry.

This is only an idea, but I'm interested to hear your opinions on this idea of mine. If you like it, I won't mind running it.
I wouldn't be for it (our normal format keeps us different from other competitions on other sites), but I would be totally in favor of making the entry rules more strict to keep the bad (low-quality) entries out of the competition.

On a side note, possibly a 2D competition and a separate 3D competition so we don't have the RCT3/Planet Coaster bias effecting the voting?
Team CoasterTech

Yeah, I'm fine, it was just something I decided to share. I feel like the Build It Contest here has some flaws, which you've stated for me. I agree with you the nice 3D aesthetics make the voting a bit skewed against the 2D builds. Maybe if we had the two separate contests, voting would be more fair.

I also feel that the RCT3 and other games besides RCT2/Classic/RCT1 have the upper hand due to the POV feature as well, which the older games don't have. So I'm totally on board with what you're saying regarding two separate contests. Smile
having separate entries for rct3/pc vs rct2/1 would be interesting.... although theres not really enough people who are playing rct3 anymore and only a couple people have pc. plus there have been rounds in the past where an rct2 entry has beat an rct3 entry.
But I feel like the RCT3 category would include the NoLimits and Planet Coaster series as well, which I assume people still play those, while RCT1-2+Open, and RCTClassic are extremely popular right now, so I feel like this would work out well personally, Drew.

This wasn't the kind of outcome I was expecting from my idea, but I'm glad this idea has come out of it, despite it not being intentional.
The main reason I've brought it up is because in my time here I couldn't help but notice a surprising amount of bias towards the 3D entries (especially in cases where the 3D entry was lacking in comparison to a 2D, yet still garnered more votes). Part of me feels that 2D entries simply have to be that much better in order to surpass this bias, however; I'm sure we've all noticed there are members on the site that will vote for a RCT3 entry just because it's made in RCT3 and for no other reason. The same applies to RCT1/2 and Planet Coaster, No Limits 1/2, etc. The current format is a bit discouraging to us that try to compete with 2D entries (still chasing that RCT2 win...), but with that being said the current format isn't broken.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, while there is room for improvement with our current format, if it isn't broken don't fix it. Build-It! has been a unique and successful competition on the site for years now, and aside from the anonymity change implemented back at the end of 2015, early 2016, it hasn't required other changes to the format (at least to my knowledge). A more appropriate step towards improving the competition may be to be harder on the theming/scenery requirements for each entry, although as previously stated we could go for a more radical change and split it into two separate competitions.

I would like to say that in my time here we have witnessed a considerable amount of improvement in the quality of the rides entered into the competition, although some still manage to surprise with a lack of content.
Team CoasterTech