RCT2 RCT2 Players

What is your favorite thing about this game?
If someone is new to the game what are some of the things you think they should know?
How long have you been playing?
Is there custom scenery for RCT2 and do you use it?
How do you make a video in RCT2 if you want to record your gameplay?
If someone was going to enter an RCT2 creation in the Build It Competition what would you 
give the advice about to give them a better chance of winning?
(you can add any information you want to if you think it's helpful)
Well:
1. My favorite thing about the game for the longest time was that the game had Six Flags parks in it without need of a download. Nowadays I'd say it's the versatility of the game with mods that keeps me coming back.

2. Shift key raises scenery items, OpenRCT2 is probably the best mod available for the game, don't be afraid to experiment with anything in game.

3. I've been playing since the game first came out (or roughly around that time, not exactly sure how long after release my Dad bought our copy but it was definitely within the first year).

4. Yes, there is a plethora of Custom Scenery for RCT2, although rather than downloading sets you download individual pieces. I have made use of CS in RCT2 (see Poison Ivy Pursuit for an example), most of it is stored on NEDesigns (https://www.nedesigns.com/) and you don't need an account to download it.

5. I've never been able to make a working POV in RCT2, but I know someone else on site can assist with this.

6. The best way to learn the standards in a game is to look at previous winners from that game (obviously the more recent the better). Also, there is a massive difference between ORCT2 entries (like Tropicana, Merlin's Odyssey, The Legend of the Lake, etc.) and Vanilla RCT2 entries, so keep that in mind when viewing them. The main way to tell (if it isn't in the description) is by looking to see if there are spliced tracks.

(Other Info.) - Coaster track pieces can be used as not rides, but as roofs, supports, and other track pieces. This technique is commonly referred to as 'trackitecture' and is a great way to add 'custom scenery' to your builds without actually downloading CS. Lastly, don't limit your usage of scenery pieces (or anything really) to its intended purpose, many objects can be used in ways some would never think to use them (like when Terry used the candy gumdrops as rocks for the first time).
Team CoasterTech

My favourite part is the fanbase behind it. There's no way we would have such a brilliant mod such as OpenRCT2.

They should know that RCT2 is limited, and if you want more options, get OpenRCT2. (It is far better made, as well the kinks of RCT2 are gone, and there are many more features).

I've been playing since I was six or seven, so 11-12 years.

Yes, as Chris said, there is a vast variety of CSOs, and even CTRs making their way back into the game. Yes, I have used them before, and OpenRCT2 CSO creations are starting to make their way into RCTgo.

I am not 100% sure as well. You might want to hit up NieSch or Nave about that.

My general rule of thumb is that the CC you get from your first entry is quite vital for your necessary means to improve. Then there's also trying to outdo yourself every single entry. Better yet, enroll in the various online multiplayer Discord servers (for OpenRCT2) to help you improve as well.

Info: I do not have much for you, but other than to say, "good luck on your journey!"
Resuming regularly scheduled programming!
Quote:What is your favorite thing about this game?

The realistic appearance of each coaster, and the amount of detail that went into designing each one to look like its real-life counterpart.

The collection of vanilla scenery is considerably superior to that available in RCT3, as it's far more versatile. This is why fewer RCT2 players have felt the need to download custom scenery compared to what is almost a requirement for RCT3 players to use it.

OpenRCT2 is phenomenal, but despite what the others are telling you, it isn't something you want without first having gained some experience with the base game. If you're new to the game, OpenRCT2's tools will only complicate a game that people already don't generally learn right away, and that could become overwhelming. On top of that, it takes several times longer to build anything in OpenRCT2 with tools like the tile inspector and disabled clearance checks, which ultimately may give a better result, but not if you're still learning the base game.

RCT2 is not actually very limited in its features. Even with ingame clearances, the scenery possibilities are still pretty much endless due to the variety and versatility of the vanilla objects. There is no pressure to download OpenRCT2 right away; you can still build winning entries without it. OpenRCT2 is not a magic tool that turns players into highly-skilled coaster-building machines; that comes with time and practice.

Quote:If someone is new to the game what are some of the things you think they should know?

The Shift key, as Chris mentioned, raises scenery. No different from RCT3.
The Ctrl key lets you place scenery at a fixed height, which speeds up building time considerably.
If you're playing a scenario to win, and it involves earning money through ride tickets, set the ticket prices to match the ride's excitement rating.

Quote:How long have you been playing?

Since 2004. 13 years.

Quote:Is there custom scenery for RCT2 and do you use it?

Custom scenery can be found on the site Chris provided under the RCT2 Objects tab. On the right side of the page, you will see links to several workbenches. These are pre-built "sandbox" scenarios with custom scenery in place of the standard scenery selection. Once you download one of these (or any park with CS in it), the CS should become available within the game, unless that feature is specific to OpenRCT2.

Unlike RCT3, RCT2 has a limit to how many objects can be used in a single scenario, so you can't use every set at once. However, RCT2 custom scenery is versatile enough so that the object limitation is rarely an issue.

I've only recently started using CS in RCT2, and the only project I've released so far that utilizes it is Legend of the Lake, which uses almost no vanilla scenery. This is a sharp contrast to all of my previous projects, which use no custom scenery.

Quote:How do you make a video in RCT2 if you want to record your gameplay?

I've used Hypercam 2 for all of my POVs. If you need to crop the clip after you've taken it, I use a program called VirtualDub, but this step may or may not be necessary. To trim unwanted portions out of the clip and/or add extra effects, Movie Maker is sufficient. My original, uncut footage of Wolf's Eye Forest totaled at 53 minutes, which I managed to trim down to 13.

Quote:If someone was going to enter an RCT2 creation in the Build It Competition what would you
give the advice about to give them a better chance of winning?

Looking at past winning entries is helpful, as it gives a general idea of what is expected of an entry. However, it's even more important to look at the feedback given to those entries before they won, as some winners have been less "complete" than others. Every now and then, a coaster will win only because it's better than the other three entries.

It's equally important to look at the feedback given to entries that did not win. Sometimes a great RCT2 coaster will lose just because another coaster received more votes (or because the votes are split to give the third coaster a leg up), but most of the time, if a RCT2 entry loses, there's a legitimate reason. Looking through past rounds at entries that were deemed even slightly "incomplete" will allow you to fill in those gaps.

As long as you follow these four basic guidelines, which apply to entries from any game, you will improve your chances of winning:

1. Layout is smooth and doesn't contain features that would cause riders discomfort, i.e. unbanked curves or inversions taken at high speeds.
2. Scenery is placed in a pleasing manner and not randomly.
3. Foliage is diverse and not just a bunch of the same two or three plants aimlessly plopped around the map.
4. Terrain is painted appropriately and not monotonously. Plain grass is fine, but it shouldn't be every single square of your environment.
[Image: 7sFmb4x.jpg]
¡Viva Mexico!
Me and Taffyta just finished up mining mission. We're in the process of recording the POV videos once those are done mining mission will be ready for Build It.
RCT2 does something for me that other games in the series simply can't. The reason I love this game as much as I do is for the fact that its visual art style hasn't aged one bit. RCT1 has the same effect, and the factor that makes me lean towards this title is mostly the possibility of custom objects, like rides and scenery, as well as some distinct gameplay features not present in RCT1.

The graphics are just as crisp and charming as they were when the game hit shelves in 2002, and a lot of that is attributed to the 2D isometric design of the game. I was very young still when I got the game (if I remember correctly, it was in 2004-ish), but it still instills the same sense of excitement when I play it today. No other game has managed to do that for me, though some games come close, like the timeless NFS : Most Wanted (2005) or The Sims 2.  If you'd like to know why I find it timeless, I could explain in more detail, but I'd rather leave that for another day. 

As I said, I got the game around 2004. From when I got it, all the way till 2015, I most certainly played around with the default coaster layouts and flat rides and little to no scenery. Since 2015, I've signed on to the OpenRCT2 Forums, found similar people there, then taken part in the multiplayer feature of OpenRCT2 ever since it came out, and been an active part of the skilled OpenRCT2 community. Earlier this year I joined NewElement Designs, which has given me even more to strive for in the community. I recommend checking out some of the highest-rated work here. 

Chris has explained as crisply as possible, on the point of the possibility of CSO, so I don't have much to add here. If you wish to see how players use CSO, I've linked the highest-rated work on NE above so I'd recommend you check that out. 

Other than that, something worth adding is, us players use what we call "workbenches", which are maps with carefully sorted scenery and ride options. The intention of these workbenches is to give the player a ready made selection of what the creator might call good CSO pieces that go well, and that usually produce good results. Simply downloading the entire CSO database of NE isn't feasible, so I suggest you download various workbenches in order to add objects to your personal database. Cherry picking all the objects you need is an option, but not one that most people would be keen on when starting out.

There are some great workbenches out there (mostly on NE). Most people would recommend Pro Tour 2 Bench (2005), NE Workbench 2017 by Louis!, and Xtreme97 Workbench 2014, so I'd say those are great starts. I suggest trying them in that specific order, as the first one contains some default NCSO objects as well as a good selection of CSO. This is what most would consider a good introduction to CSO, so to speak. It helps get the hang of some CSO objects, as well as having their previously relied upon NCSO objects. Then, we've got the latest 2017 rendition of the Official NE Workbench, that contains some of the most versatile and widely used objects that guarantees you'll find something in there for you. Definitely something a lot of users use as their starting point in projects when going full-CSO. Then, at last we've got a workbench that, while having objects that cater to a very specific group of people, still contains some very respectable object pieces that you'd otherwise miss out on should you try only the other two. Once you've gotten the hang of how good CSO is used, you'll want to manually add your desired pieces to a workbench individually to cater to your specific work each time. For that, I suggest using the NE Database to look for very specific objects using the search command.

The final advice most RCT2 players have to go through is knowing the limits of the game. Before starting a CSO project, know that there are some very specific limits in the game, such as a fixed object limit, limiting the number of objects you can place in a single park, an object selection limit, limiting the amount of unique objects you can add to your scenery selection window, and even a ride selection limit, limiting the amount of unique rides you can add to your ride selection window. There is a map size limit too, so there's that to consider as well. These limits are partially why workbenches are so valuable. You get a carefully selected object and ride selection that didn't surpass these limits while still offering a very useful selection. 

As I do not record much of what I make, I can't add more to that question than what has already been said. 

I'm not sure how the Build-It competition receives most RCT2 entries, as there seems to be a very varied RCT2 player base here with wildly different skill levels. I'm afraid I can't help much in giving you an edge, beyond the advice to make stuff that looks great (in RCT2's aesthetics). Use the art style of the game to your advantage to produce work that looks natural and pleasing to the eyes. It's a 2D game with a camera fixed at a certain distance, so try to understand and exploit the isometric nature of the game. Try not to make congested narrow alleys between buildings, as one would hardly be able to see the street level work, and always know that what you're building is exactly what the viewer will see as well. If a details ends up getting obscured by something, you'll have to figure out how to let it be exposed, while keeping your work natural-looking. Maintaining that photogenic nature while keeping things natural in all 4 angles is the name of the game here. If a building looks just slightly better were it a unit taller, go ahead and do that. If a tree would have looked better with the rest were it to the left, go ahead and do that. Every angle of the game is essentially a moving painting and let that fact be used to your advantage.

I hope this help you, and thank you for reading through it.
Currently working on a fictional Italian non-park. Expected release date: Soonâ„¢

[Image: QLvoQOM.png]
RCT1 and RCT2 really aren't anything to rave about in my opinion. RCT3 and Planet Coaster are two of the best in my opinion because of the 3D graphics.
That's a matter of opinion indeed, though I appreciate your enthusiasm for the other games. OP wanted to know what one finds their favourite thing about the game, and I responded.
Currently working on a fictional Italian non-park. Expected release date: Soonâ„¢

[Image: QLvoQOM.png]
I'm not saying rct2 is a bad game, in fact my favorite part about it is the six flags parks. Which I was going to try and update
I have installed RCT2 again and managed to get it to work on Windows 10 on my gaming laptop. I haven't really played it that much. So all of this information you all are providing is helpful so thank you. I thought maybe it would be good information for other people as well. It may be awhile before I share something. Please feel free to keep the conversation going. I find it interesting to read what people have to say about the game.