Vote for your favorite track! Round 272

[Image: buildit.png]

Round 272 Voting

It's time for another round of voting for RCTgo's Build It! Competition. Four more great entries are up for voting - below are the name and screenshot of each. It's now time for you to vote for your favorite track!

Let's have a great round!

#1: Spirited Mountain (Ryū)

[Image: 59ab41c4d8470.png]

#2: Waldafur

[Image: 59ac6eb4e7d8a.png]

#3: Tiger Tower

[Image: 59ad369db956c.jpg]

#4: Wilder Run

[Image: 59ad65be998e5.png]

Voting is now open!

Voting will remain open until Monday, September 11
This is a fairly decent round, although I'm stuck between Ryu and Waldafur (is that Dutch or German?).

Just a note to our resident RCT3 players: Waldafur is of the quality you SHOULD be striving for when entering the competition. Whether you can make it to that level or not depends on your skill level, but that SHOULD be your endgame.

Moving on to CC:

1. Spirited Mountain (Ryu) -

While I feel that this coaster could fit the theme better if it were a different coaster type (I just feel like mice don't really fit the theme is all), it still works. The project has managed to capture the essence of a sacred temple or pagoda hidden away in the mountains of Japan. You've made it look as though people would undertake journeys up the treacherous mountainside path on pilgrimages to reach the temple/shrine/pagoda. You've even added in a sort of "dragon" near the foot of the mountain. Foliage work is on-point, terraforming/painting is as well, the only nitpick I have that I would have liked to see executed better is the fact you reuse the same vanilla Asian tower piece. I would have liked to perhaps see CS to accomplish the same goal, or even some buildings you made yourself instead. Either way this is a fantastic project, and it reminds me a lot of Terry Inferno's Golden Dragon. (another fantastic coaster we have on site)

2. Waldafur -

Just to state this again in case people skipped over it at the beginning - THIS is the quality RCT3 players should be striving for. Everything on this project is fantastic, except for the pacing of the ride itself. The launch is far too fast, and not only would the mid-course barrel roll be rather uncomfortable at that speed, the bunny hills at the end would be rather uncomfortable as well. No this project isn't perfect, but it's the best RCT3 project we've seen since The Ice Howler. Fantastic work on this one. *EDIT* Also, you might want to spend more time editing your POV footage next time, the transitions were a bit choppy and there was a spot where your flying cam GUI popped up on screen.

3. Tiger Tower -

This... is a rather underwhelming coaster. No POV keeps me from judging the layout, and going off of presentation alone the project isn't that strong. Terrapainting and terraforming both need a lot of work, I suggest you look at Silvarret's tutorials on both for tips on how to improve them. The project desperately needs more of a variety of foliage, not to mention it lacks a lot of ground cover and ground scrubs/shrubs/bushes. Don't mix 'vanilla' rocks with CS ones, the 'vanilla' ones stick out like a sore thumb among the CS and they look much worse. Try to use pathcovers as much as possible, they eliminate the ugly look of the 'vanilla' paths, also there are sets for queue fences (StationJimJr's Random Things is a good one for that I believe). Not a bad start (if you're a beginner) but there's still a lot of work needed on this project.

4. Wilder Run -

I believe this is the second RCTC entry we've had, and it's about the same quality as the last. The station is rather basic, really it's just a red box with a roof on top of it, the gears on the front look like they were just slapped on there without much purpose at all. I'm not really sure why there's soo much fire used either, is this supposed to have an industrial theme? Fire theme? (since everything is red) I'm not really sure what sort of theme is being conveyed at all here. As for the layout, it's fine until you hit the second half of the track. The barrel roll (may) kill someone with how fast it goes through it, and if it doesn't the sharp turn following the boosters will. How do I know that? The coaster train is travelling through the helix fast enough to comfortably traverse the following large loop, therefore it has to be moving much faster while descending the hill in question. This leads me to conclude that this is in fact, a death coaster, and therefore needs much more work with the layout and scenery.

*Disclaimer*

For those of you that don't know, this is CC - Constructive Criticism - and it's meant to help you become a better designer by me pointing out flaws in your project. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to draw your attention to how you can get better is all.
Team CoasterTech

I voted for Spirited Mountain (Ryu). I'm a sucker for Japanese themed architecture.
split between ryu and waldafur
Can't decide between spirited mountain ryu and waldafur...
Waldafur gets my vote!
My vote has gone to Waldafur. I think this is a wonderful build that I cannot find any fault or areas for improvement (not that there isn't any, of course). The video made me swoon (well, more or less!). There is so much that is right about this. First of all, the coaster design. The ride looks very exciting and fun to ride. It doesn't go for obvious extreme highspots which lose effectiveness, more it does the fundamentals well. I love the twists and corkscrews on this. I especially liked the way the ride interacted with it's woodland surroundings, the dip under the rocks was great!

The setting is lovely. I really liked the station, the forecourt and the buildings. That clock tower fits the park perfectly. The park looks like a really nice place to visit, even the placing of the outdoor tables worked really well for me. I also really liked the colours of the coaster at night, the way the lights shone on it, almost like a nighttime rainbow. So yes, lovely entry.

My initial first thought was that Ryu was the standout winner just looking at the screenshots. This was a close second in my thinking. First of all, I INSTANTLY got the theme of the ride, by looking at the screenshots and the title. That to me is a strong indication that the theme is spot on. It makes sense and I understand it. If I'm being honest I had few thoughts on the track. I liked the way it cut through the mountain, I am a sucker for going underground on rides. I also thought the colours of the shrubbery was perfect. It reflected the Japanese theme well. That really is the standout for this ride - it has a clear setting and context that makes sense. I don't know if it is possible in RCT2 but what this ride is screaming out for is some kind of Red Dragon Car. The idea of a scaly beast flying up and down the mountain, cutting through and around would really add to this. It changes the context from 'this is a coaster in honour of the old spirit' to 'this coaster is the spirit'! Great stuff.

Tiger Tower seems to me to be a really good entry too. It doesn't stand up to Waldafur largely because I've no POV. It's nice to see a different ride format and I get what the creator was trying to do, dropping guests to within inches of man-eating tigers but I kind of think the tigers detract from the ride. It just felt a bit 'off' to me. Close inspection of the screenshots will show that this is another Asian themed ride and it does a lot of what Ryu does well. I loved the walls and floor of the station (what a shame the entrance is the standard one - it lets the effect down a little). The flowers and foliage are well placed and add a sense of serenity and beauty to the park. I think that's why I'm not overly fond of the tigers. I think they detract from a beautiful park. I like this ride a lot but it's not 'perfect'.

I'm guessing there are a lot of limitations with RCTC so it's interesting to see what people can put together on their phone. For Wilder Run I didn't get the theme or understand the ride. I think for a RCTC entry to win it would need something especially creative with track design would be required.
My vote will go to Waldafur. I will explain my reasonings for this at some point in the future.

Good luck, everyone!
Resuming regularly scheduled programming!
Great round. Let's go.

[Disclaimer: I don't judge entries based on ride layouts, as I understand that is not a domain I excel personally at. Most of my opinions are based on everything but the layout. As such, things like ride-interaction with neighbouring elements is still something I consider.]

Spirited Mountain (Ryū): I can't help but compliment Spirited Mountain (Ryū) for the great craftsmanship achieved despite being completely NCSO. The trackitecture works and looks natural, and I can only wish I could go for this kind of coaster interaction. Going through, out and around a mountain with such technical grace while still looking so photogenic is extremely impressive. If only Merlin's Odyssey had this charm. You're really high up there with the great NCSO builders.

The one thing I don't particularly like is the foliage. It's supposed to be very 'micro-esque', I am assuming, but NCSO has only ever worked in a macro format, in my opinion. Something much more natural can be and has been executed in NCSO RCT2-work by people, and while I'm all for uniquely different foliage work, this just doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid.

Wilder Run: I'm sorry, but there isn't much for me to compliment here. Very bare-bones scenery work, and hardly looks natural. I'm sure someone else could compliment on how that layout works. I can understand it has been made in RCTC, a mobile version of RCT2, but I know a lot of people that have managed to do far far more. Maybe you're just not interested in focusing on scenery work, but it's still an integral part of the experience. 

Tiger Tower: RCT3 particularly looks unpleasant sometimes, but despite how badly it has aged objectively, great work manages to make things work beautifully. This might not be one of those instances. Perhaps the screenshots don't do this entry justice, but that is all I have to base my judgement on. For starters, the sudden hike in the land height where the Tiger exhibit supposedly is makes for a very unnatural effect. I'm pretty sure that isn't realistic as far as plain grass goes. The foliage doesn't look quite natural either. 

On the plus side, the station looks good. Simple yet elegant. There are a lot of concepts in this entry that are really promising, but perhaps it needed a little more skill and time to bring it all together. At least that's my impression. Keep improving, I look forward to seeing more in the future.

Waldafur: Calling back to just moments earlier when I mentioned a level of RCT3 work that rises above the shortcomings of the game in the visual department, Waldafur is definitely something worth looking at, and I had a great time while going through the POV video. The foliage work is beautiful, aesthetically pleasing (as much as the game allows) and detailed. There are no blank patches here, no matter where you look; the mark of a truly skilled builder. I had a blast going through this entry much like Spirited Mountain (Ryū). Wherever it exists, the rock work is well defined and every little bit of rock bump has a purpose. The architecture might be some of the most well-executed stuff I've seen in a while. This is how things should be done, and I'm glad we have someone bringing this level of RCT3 park-making to the table. I'm eager to see you bring more for us to feast our eyes upon in the future. This is eye candy at its finest.

Spirited Mountain (Ryū) vs. Waldafur
I've had enough time to think this through, and I've ultimately come to the conclusion that Waldafur executes the things I look for, better than Spirited Mountain (Ryū). The foliage is pretty much an obvious difference I can't help but ignore. Granted, one entry is purely NCSO and one had all the CSO at its disposal, and this is where I have a subjectively supported inclination towards the CSO one. I've explained my problems with the former's foliage, so not much to elaborate on. 

Both these entries have amazing details in every crevice of the entry, but another thing hard to ignore is the difference in sizes. It is quite obvious that Waldafur achieves a lot more with a lot more land area. Spirited Mountain (Ryū) most likely chose a stylistic reason for going so small in scale, but some of the shortcomings of the foliage could have been covered if the entry was generally larger in scale. A village leading up to the mountain sounds like something that could have made me like the entry more. Even a dense jungle around the mountain, perhaps? There are enough possibilities one could have gone with. It's rather unfortunate because Spirited Mountain (Ryū) could have done much better in a different round. As it stands, Waldafur indicates a lot more effort and love. 

In conclusion, Waldafur takes my vote. This is the kind of RCT3 work that the recent rounds were desperately lacking. As an RCT2 player myself, I can't help but suggest you try your hand at that game. I'm almost let down that I can't give any pointers to help you grow to even greater heights, but I undeniably hope to see more in the future.

We're almost half way there, but good luck to all entrants!
Currently working on a fictional Italian non-park. Expected release date: Soonâ„¢

[Image: QLvoQOM.png]
Waldafur got my vote