Vote for your favorite track! Round 273

My thoughts, are coming from the position as an RCT novice so please be aware of that in my comments.  I'm not in any way particularly knowledgeable about track construction or scenery but here goes....

Thematically, I really liked Dràgon Gorm.  The scenery and buildings fit really well.  The buildings look like they belong together, they are distinct yet I understood the setting immediately.   Some of the building work (especially the spires and roofs) look lovely.  In terms of the actual ride, I quite liked the length - it was about right for a water coaster.  As others have pointed out, I didn't really get the big drop at the start.  It isn't the most exciting log flume type ride but I'm a bit picky there.  I really liked the hanging baskets of flowers right at the end of the ride.  I'm perhaps not the most articulate with this stuff, but it's the little things which draw my attention and I thought this was quite effective.  It's a good build and gets my vote.

Well first of all, I hope the creator of Hurricane Fury is okay since the real life Hurricane hit!  My general feeling about this coaster is that the creator has tried to go for the wow factor and the insane ride feeling.  It looks like something I would try to design.  However, my feeling is that the ride doesn't work.  It looks a little too 'extreme' for me and subsequently unrealistic.  The initial climb seems long and I felt the first twist and inversion comes too soon after that first drop.  I felt those corkscrew spirals after an incline look uncomfortable to me and seem illogical.  As with any entry that lacks scenery it struggles to compete with other entries.

I don't understand the theme at all for 1999 Chevrolet Silverado.  Again, I'm not sure if this is a joke or not but if it's a joke it's one I haven't got.  One thing I do like about this entry is how compact it is.  I quite like seeing how people create relatively small coasters that maintain decent levels of excitement.  We've all had small spaces on parks which shout out for something small like this.  A better coaster than the title and theme suggests.

I liked Wraith an awful lot and by some margin is the best coaster in the contest.  Everything made sense, it seems an exciting ride.  I loved the underground tunnel and the exit from it seemed quite exhilarating.  What lets it down somewhat is the setting.  It's all very dark, the red lights on the climb add a sense of something to come but then it all seems a little plain.  I liked the theme of an abandoned coaster and there are probably quite a few objects and scenery choices that would add to the sense of this scary, threatening coaster.  Nice back story to the build and a close second for me.

Well done everyone and thank you for sharing your work.
My thoughts: (By the way I'm not dead [yet], I've been swamped with coursework so I've not had time to really be online)

Dràgon Gorm -

At first glance this seems to be a masterfully well-done RCT3 entry, however; upon closer inspection this isn't the case. I'll separate my comments into their respective categories to organize my CC better:

Architecture - This is pretty spot on, you've both used the CS pieces to their potential and managed to capture the aesthetic of a medieval castle perfectly. In the future I'd like to see a bit more experimentation with pieces, as a lot of this looks like pretty generic work that can be achieved with the pieces in a matter of minutes if you know what you're going for, but regardless it's quite well done.

Terraforming/painting - This continues to be one of the weakest parts of your builds, the terrain always seems to have spots where there are sharp edges on hills (look at the first two screenshots for an example of this) which are both unrealistic, but very ugly. I'd either make the slope gentler, or I'd just use rockwork to cover it entirely.

Rockwork - The rockwork you've done on this project is certainly an improvement over past work, and while it is easy to spot the same rock in the same orientation in a couple of spots it's done quite well.

The Layout - This is the weakest part of the project, and unfortunately, keeps Gorm from being this round's winner (in my eyes). If this were a different coaster type there's a chance that this layout would work well, however; (as stated by some others in the thread already) the layout simply doesn't work at some parts (notably the first drop). More time should have gone into the layout to flesh it out a bit more (not to say you didn't put time into it).

Overall, this is a good RCT3 project, but not a great one. While it is on the cusp of greatness in RCT3 standards it seems that you'll have to design better layouts to achieve the level you want with future projects. I suggest looking at real coasters of the type you're building to get started.

Hurricane Fury -

Oh boy... yet another RCTC death coaster... moving on...

1999 Chevrolet Silverado -

I'm not sure if there's an inside joke here, but I'd give this 3rd place, chiefly because it doesn't look like it'd kill people.

Wraith -

Ah, here we are. While I could go on (again) about how disappointed I am that the creator didn't bother to add scenery that isn't trees or a station, I'm blown away by the layout of the ride. Fantastic work on this one, you've won my vote.
Team CoasterTech