RT3 Platinum Installation Question

Ok so here's the thing.  My computer's CD drive no longer reads discs (DVDs, CDs, etc).  I just discovered that RCT3 Platinum is 20 bucks on the Steam shop.  Naturally I plan to re-buy the game digital since I can no longer use the disc...but I'm not sure what to do after purchase where installation is concerned.

Do I have to uninstall RCT3 and delete all the folders to do the reinstall?  Can I install the digital version over the original physical version and it will overwrite everything built into the game?

Basically, has anyone gone from physical to digital on the same computer and if so, how do I make the transition so I can go back to playing?
I have, you can copy all of your saves, CS, etc. to another folder and uninstall RCT3 (disk) from your computer. Since you'll have moved the files from their intended directory they won't (shouldn't be) erased during the uninstall. Afterwards you can download/install the Steam version and simply move your old files to the new directory.

Windows C: -> Programs x64 -> Steam -> SteamApps -> Common -> RCT3, etc. should be the directory.
Team CoasterTech

Good thing I backed everything up to an external hard drive then. Won't be able to get the game til next week, but I'll definitely take note of this to check the new directory for the game. Will all the folders be like they would in the Atari folder of the directory? Like Style/Themed and cars/trackedridecars, etc?
Yes they should be the same.
Team CoasterTech

Install and custom content back up successful. The only odd thing is I purchased RCT3 Platinum and it appears in my Steam library under that name but in the directory folder Common it's listed as Gold version O_o
Yeah I think that they mislabeled that, because it's the same (or was) on mine. I'm happy to hear it all went well.
Team CoasterTech

Half well actually. I just installed a piece of custom scenery and for some reason, even though it was correctly installed, it crashed the game.

This is the CFR in question: http://www.customscenerydepot.com/index....;down=3620

I have another Turbo Drop by Krypt, but that shouldn't've crashed the game. And I have three other rides by SteelRides none of which ever crashed the disc version of the game. I'm wondering if certain CS isn't compatible with the Steam version or if this particular file is corrupted (which would be my typical bad luck).

Outside of the CS issue, the game is running smoothly. Plays just like it did on the disc version (which I'm keeping around just because I paid good money for it when I bought it back in 2010). I just need to get used to the new desktop shortcut being a blank white square xD
I'm not sure if it's that specific download that's bad or if it's a corrupt file, but the Steam version is the same thing as the disk, the only difference is that Steam is digital as opposed to a disk version. All CS is still compatible with it, I'd try and redownload the CS in question.
Team CoasterTech

I've always had problems with certain CS sets crashing my game. A couple of sets were because I had shadows turned on, also occasionally I've downloaded sets that were incomplete files or were missing some of the code, usually the ".ovl" was missing from the end of the file name. I replaced that and they worked fine. Then other times certain sets crashed the game anyway. I always test in structure builder now and just delete the sets that crash. Best of luck, hope you're able to get your crashing to stop.
Thanks. I prefer this Turbo Drop over Krypt's for some of the park ideas I have planned. I'll see if turning shadows off helps before I do the redownload. If not I might just wash my hands of this particular Turbo Drop and stick to what I already have.

I wish there was a 1001 Natchs and Hang Glider (like the actual lay down glider cars) CFRs to be honest lol.