RCT3 write-protection error loading/saving files

Dear Roller Coaster Fanatics

I've my back to the wall Confused

I newly installed RCT3 on another system, operating on windows 7 64-bit again.

The installation worked fine, but I cannot neither load nor save any files. I get an enormous frustrating error message instead, saying that the file could not be opened, as

1. either write-protected (only the folder wherein the file is located is actually write-protected*) or
2. insufficient access rights (I'm the ADMIN) or
3. the hard disk drive is full (which is not the case)

* and I'm unable to change that as the checkbox isn't ticked but marked in blue. If I try to cancel the write-protection by clicking on the confirmation button, it is shown as cancelled indeed, but it immediately retourns to write-protected.

Do you have any idea which might help me, 'cause I'm despairing :-\ :-( :,(

Thank you all for help!

Yours

Rollercoaster-Fan
____ Scarlet Kingsnake – POV: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Xl3yt3nQ5Bg ____
Just a suggestion, not a guaranteed fix, but you could try uninstalling then reinstalling but run the installer program as administrator.

It's difficult for me to remember all this stuff, haven't played with Windows for years. I'm running the game in Linux.

Cheers,

Andrew.
(Jul 7, 2020, 08:53 PM)slopsbucket Wrote: Just a suggestion, not a guaranteed fix, but you could try uninstalling then reinstalling but run the installer program as administrator.

It's difficult for me to remember all this stuff, haven't played with Windows for years. I'm running the game in Linux.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your very quick response! This is a good idea which I tried just now... But, unfortunately it doesn't work for me Confused

Cheers back,
Rollercoaster-Fan
____ Scarlet Kingsnake – POV: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Xl3yt3nQ5Bg ____
Something is either resetting write protection or preventing it from being disabled, you can't save if you can't write. A couple of ideas. RCT3 is an old game, are you running in XP compatibility mode? Also make sure your account and system have full access to the entire game folder. And, while this has not been an issue with RCT3 on my system, try changing affinity to a single core.