RC Tycoon III, Platinum: Game won't load after install

Maybe this has been addressed before but I couldn't find it in search.

Problem: RCTIII (Platinum) won't load after install. Have tried all remedies on the readme. No Luck yet. Also, bought second disc program (both official) neither work...both yield same result.

The spinning CD mouse pointer appears when I double click the exe icon (panda). From that point on, including while writing this, that pointer icon is present and will not go away to my default pointer. The only way to get rid of it is to reboot the computer. I checked my firewall and "allowed" RC, disabled Norton 360 during install, etc.

The message on my screen has "Microsoft C++" as heade, the content says "Program...files\Atari Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 Platinum\RCT3Plus.exe"
"abnormal program termination" and then the MS "OK" box below.
Have installed and uninstalled each of the (2) discs at least two times. Same result all the time.

SYSTEM: Toshiba Satelite L 300, Windows XP Pro, sp 3, 2 mb ram, Intel Centrino duo core, Intel Pentium III Xeon Processor, large hard drive with room to spare, video adapter is Intel Mobile 4 Express chip set,

I am reasonably proficient at computers and program install. FYI, I currently have RC 2 (with expansion pack) and RC Original deluxe and both of these work correctly. I'm about to give up on this RCIII thing but I don't want to give up too easily!!!

Anyone else have this problem? Better yet, a solution?

Any help appreciated

First time Member, Hope I did this right!

grape
hmmm. I've seen RCT3 problems before but none like this. I know RCT3 likes ATI Video cards, but I dont think that is your problem. It sounds like a system error to me.

EDIT: By system error I mean the computer not RCT3.

ANOTHER EDIT: It might be a system file that is corrupting the game.
:huh:

All help appreciated.

Dickhttp://forums.rctgo.net/images/smilies/huh.gif
Hi all: Its still me (grape) getting the hang of this posting messages thing. I think I just screwed up my reply request for additional information. The post reply should have read as follows:

Hello All

Thanks for your quick replies. I have not tried any other steps since my original post. Just got back to the computer this morning. I don't rule out system error either. Any idea where to look? There are numerous C++ fixes on the web but I hesitate to use them without recommendation.

Also, there appeared to be an earlier "Fix" through Atari but their EXE patch is now discontinued. This patch was apparently available at one time on the web at http://www.securom.com/support/customers...t3plus.zip.

Perhaps, if a forum member has that file, and has used it with success, they could reply with a current source for the file and/or post the file as an attachment?

I am about to give up and just stick with RC2 but I hate to do so.
Hello grape. Make sure that the latest C++ updates are all installed. Since you have Windows XP, make sure automatic updates (from the control panel) are turned on which should allow windows to automatically download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 etc.

Once all that is complete, it should allow your game to run properly.
[Image: coaster9hd.png]
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Send me a message
Thanks for response. Still, after download of C++ 2005 and 2008 the game does not work. Still stalls at the onset. CD spins and the C++ error pops up. Don't know if I mentioned it before, but the spinning CD pointer becomes the default and won't go away without reboot.

I did reboot after installing the updates for C++. Am about ready to uninstall RC3 and try a reinstall. However, I will wait until I hear from you.

I can't find my original post so I am not sure if I mentioned that Securom has a link for a patch on their site. However, clicking on that link goes to a page that they say is no longer available and they refer you to Atari Customer Support. Atari Customer support refers you to Securom so it is a complete circle of Non-Help.

RC Original and RC#2 both installed and working fine. I again apologize if I am repeating previous information, but can't find my original post.

Really appreciate your time here.

grape
New Information: Have updated C++ with the 2005 and 2007 MS updates. Still the same result. Not being one to give up easily, I went with the RCIII disc in hand to my old Toshiba laptop (read slow here). Guess what...installation went flawlessly. I am not sure what differences there are in the two laptops. One difference I do know is that the new (read faster here) one is duo core. Perhaps that is the problem.

At least I now know the disc is valid and not corrupted. Still looking for that patch or any other information regarding the failed installs on the my newer and faster laptop.

Anyone have that patch or know of a current location for it???

Thanks All who have replied.

grape
I've had this problem, too. I think it's either the program files, or a CS file you've got. To fix this, I had to copy the files off of another computer I had RCT3 on at the time, and it worked like a charm.
rct3tycoon
"If you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers!"
Hi grape, I am new around here and new to RCT3. That said, I consider myself a guru when it comes to troubeshooting games. At 44 years old I have played some of the most system intensikve games around such as FEAR (all releases), COD4, Farcry 2, Crysis 1 & 2 and a whole lot more. One thing that is common to game problems on a laptop is the onboard graphics. A huge number of 3D games smply do not like sharing system ram. In your case, your onboard graphics will most certainly be doing this. You can try increasing the amount of ram your video uses and see if that helps. You do this by changing the setting in the laptop bios. Try 512meg if the option is there.

Can you confirm your system settings. You say you have 2meg of ram. I am hoping you mean 2gig. You also say that you have a Centrino AND PIII Xeon CPU. It has to be one or the other. I am guessing Centrino as no laptop in the Toshiba L300 range came out with a Xeon CPU.

You have of course gone to Intel website and loaded the latest driver for your onboard vid?
(May 21, 2010, 04:18 AM)Cobraderra Wrote: At 44 years old I have played some of the most system intensikve games around such as FEAR (all releases), COD4, Farcry 2, Crysis 1 & 2 and a whole lot more.

Crysis 2 hasn't even been released yet! Unless there is something I don't know?
[Image: coaster9hd.png]
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Send me a message
My apologies. I am of course talking about Crysis Warhead. It was so long it felt like Crysis 2 Tongue