Options.txt ..... It's ba-a-a-a-a-ack.

Would anyone know where to find an options.txt editor that doesn’t give this message when I attempt to run the installer:

Header Bar: Cannot Start Application
Message: Application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor.

I then get a .txt file. There are about 30 or 40 lines of text in it but I’ve pasted here what I believe to be relevant:

Error Summary
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* An exception occurred while determining trust. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Value does not fall within the expected range.
* Activation of EXECUTABLE PATH application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Value does not fall within the expected range.
Component Store Transaction Failure Summary
No transaction error was detected.

Then later in the log:

Error Details
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [DATE AND TIME] System.ArgumentException
- Value does not fall within the expected range.

The installation folder, downloaded late this November, contains the following:

Another folder: RCT3 Options Editor_2_2_1_9
Application Deployment Manifest: RCT3 Options Editor.application (06.07.2006)
Application Deployment Manifest: RCT3 Options Editor_2_2_1_9.application (06.07.2006)
File: Readme.txt (says to double click on setup then click install)
Installer: Setup.exe (licensed to Microsoft, version 8.0.50727.42 modified 06/07/2006)

I’ve looked into the first folder and ran the .exe file directly (both as a regular user and as an administrator) to receive this message:

Header Bar: JohnCJ’s RCT3 Options Editor
Message: Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.
Could not find file “ROOT\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\Atari\RCT3\options.txt”.

This is the same message I get with a pervious version of this application that I downloaded in March of this year. Aaccording to properties tab both these editors are version 1.0.0.0.

I have two options.txt files on my system:
• ROOT\Program Files\Atari\RollerCoaster Tycoon 3\Options.txt
• ROOT\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Atari\RCT3\Options.txt

The file this application is looking for is not on my system. I have gone to the Documents and Settings folder to create this path just to see what happens but a search reveals the Documents and Settings folder is a system shortcut and, although an administrator on this system, I am denied access to shortcuts set up by the system for system use.

Does someone know what the problem might be? Or if there is a working options.txt editor available for download? Or if you could share how to type the information directly into the options.txt file and which file to use?
PM's to this member account are not monitored. Please direct all questions/comments here.

the files that the program tries to download are on a site that no longer exists. That is why it doesnt work.
I have a list of options.txt options to choose from but am only interested in a few. Primarily I want to stop the launch banner sequence. Do changes to options.txt work when you type it in manually? If that works which file would I type it in?
PM's to this member account are not monitored. Please direct all questions/comments here.

Early in January I discovered two other versions of options.txt editor on this site but with the one that came with Peep Factory I get the exact same error message as in my first post above. The other is someone’s options.txt file (an actual text file that's been copied available for download) but I’m not sure what some of the information is about or whether to put it in which of these folders (Vista):

ROOT:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Atari\RCT3\

or in

ROOT:\Program Files\Atari\RollerCoaster Tycoon 3\.

If my memory serves me correctly the editor utility I downloaded from this site in January was only two months newer than the one I already had downloaded about a year before – both utilities were several years old and, when tried, both have come up with these same error messages.

Has anyone gotten any success in editing their options.txt file?

Although I'm not quite sure if I can help you?
But look at this page.

http://www.rct-3.org/files/index.php?pag...egoryID=19

LG
wojoma
I found a few interesting utilities on the site at the link. Makes me realize just how much goes into creating CS for RCT3.

There was one for listing all the custom ride tracked parts for something called bahndaten_.txt (translates to ground data_.txt which I am guessing is the German version of options.txt. Wonder why someone would want to list track parts for a .txt file?

I also found something called the RCT3 trainer. I had no idea there was one although I vaguely remember hearing about it a few times in the past. The files in the download folder seem to be named in English so I might actually be able to install and see what it's about.

And of course, the ubiquitous, infamous and notoriously unreliable options.txt editor ......... this one seems to be about the same age as the others (I'm going by memory as I've deleted all the others I downloaded seeing as I couldn't use them). It also looks like there are a few more files in the download than the others and it looks like there's an uninstaller with this one so it differs from those I've already tried in that regard. Maybe I'll have some luck with this one.

Thanks for the link and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for your feedback.
Unfortunately I can not speak English. So I have to work with the Google translator.
It is not to recognize exactly what is desired. I put the link on your site, in the hope that you would find something suitable there. You are welcome to make an inquiry with your problem in the English language forum. There are many users who can english well. Perhaps we can help you there now?
LG
wojoma

http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/36714859/file.html

If I have understood correctly, you want to shorten the startup process in RCT3? So start right in the program? Maybe you are looking for this?
LG
wojoma
(Feb 27, 2013, 03:18 PM)wojoma Wrote: ..... I put the link ...... You are welcome to make an inquiry with your problem in the English language forum......

Well, thanks so much for that. I'm going to have to go back to that site and look around some more.

I have good news and bad news. The bad news is I unsuccessfully attempted installation today of the options.txt editor - on my Vista Disk. Just wouldn't install.

And now the good news:

About an hour ago I noticed I had inadvertently moved the editor over to my XP disk with some other files and decided to give it a whirl. It installed in moments, the interface opened, I selected some options and the utility did what it was supposed to. It didn't indicate where the new options.txt file was located so I did a file search. On XP, I see, as on Vista, there are two options.txt files at these locations:

ROOT:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\Atari\RCT3\Options.txt

ROOT:\Program Files\Atari\RollerCoaster Tycoon 3\Options.txt

The first of the two files is the one in which I found the changes I made through the utility. I have no idea where it's stored the backup options.txt file as it's probably been renamed. It doesn't matter anyway – the important options.txt file is located on my Vista disk where I play my game.

When back on my Vista disk I would imagine I could copy and paste the options.txt content into the Application Data options.txt file and manually back-up the existing options.txt file. As least now I know what information to put in what options.txt file.

Oddly on XP the utility hasn't created an install file in Program Files and shows in Start menu with a shortcut to start the application which is located somewhere else on the system. One day I'll have to try and figure out what it's done here but for now I can look forward to trying out the changes on my Vista disk within the next few days.

Having said all that I've got to tell you you have helped because I've found an options.txt editor that actually installs and although it won't work on Vista I know which options.txt file to adjust.

(Feb 27, 2013, 03:18 PM)wojoma Wrote: ..... If I have understood correctly, you want to shorten the startup process in RCT3?.....

Yes, what I would like to do is to eliminate the banner sequence at the start of the game. I may just have the solution when I copy and past the options.txt information as I've mentioned above.

(Feb 27, 2013, 03:18 PM)wojoma Wrote: ..... I put the link on your site, in the hope that you would find something suitable there. .....

What you've done certainly suits me!

Hi please, start the trainer RCT3 -08 txt as follows:
Download link in your Downloads folder, extract all files folder with a double-click Application Files with Double Open-RCT3 trainer 08 1 0 0 0 - Open-RCT3Trainer08 with double-double open. A window will appear, where you can see how an Internet connection is established. This opens a large window. Please click on the bottom right. It will open another window. There you can adjust the settings. Close the window. Then everything should work. It works on all systems. I have XP, Win7 and Win8 on different computers. Vista system I have not. It should work well there.
I hope I could help you?
LG
wojoma
Fantastic. Everything worked just like you said it would except I have the trainer written in German. I can't read the options or any cautions. Is there an English language version of the trainer available that I overlooked?

Also none of the other tabs will open. The trainer begins with the first tab (finanzen) accessible but will not switch to any of the other tabs (peep-tools, parkoptionen, mitarbeiter, bauoptionen, datum, erweiterte einstellungen or info). I can tick the options on the box that comes up but don't know what I'm ticking.

Just so you know I've tried this on XP.