Poll: Should screenshots be required in the downloads center?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, you should be required to upload a screenshot with your download
65.52%
19 65.52%
No, it should remain optional
34.48%
10 34.48%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should screenshots be required?

Belloman Wrote:
coasterfreek900 Wrote:
Belloman Wrote:I didn't allow BMP files initially due to their size and the likelihood that if they didn't change over the format, they won't have changed over the file name to something more unique either. I may just add a feature that adds the download ID before the file name - that would remove any problems with duplicate screenshots (IE User A uploads a screenshot by the name of Shot001.bmp and then User B does the same thing, but they're different screenshots).

I really don't see the point of naming your screenshots after your download because nobody ever pays any attention to the screenshot name so why is it so important?
Look at the example I included - one user uploads a screenshot, then another user uploads a different screenshot by the same name - the newer one will overwrite the older one, and then the first user's download will have an incorrect screenshot. But, as I said, I plan on correcting that Wink

I guess that might help. The name converter might help as well. Why don't you put an "edit download" option on the files we uploaded so we can change descriptions and add new screenshots. You might also want to say on the upload a screenshot option "if your screenshot wont work, please change it from "screenshot name.JPEG" to screenshot name.jpg"

It worked for me!
[Image: coaster9hd.png]
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Send me a message
coasterfreek900 Wrote:
Belloman Wrote:Look at the example I included - one user uploads a screenshot, then another user uploads a different screenshot by the same name - the newer one will overwrite the older one, and then the first user's download will have an incorrect screenshot. But, as I said, I plan on correcting that Wink

I guess that might help. The name converter might help as well. Why don't you put an "edit download" option on the files we uploaded so we can change descriptions and add new screenshots. You might also want to say on the upload a screenshot option "if your screenshot wont work, please change it from "screenshot name.JPEG" to screenshot name.jpg"

It worked for me!
As it stands right now, your user ID isn't stored in the downloads database - only the username at time of submission is stored. And, since a lot of the downloads (I'd estimate about 200 or 300) were added before we required you to login (meaning you manually entered a creator and email address), they might not even have a match to current users on the forums. We'd have to make some large changes in structure in order to implement editing of downloads, and that would also require fixing over 625 downloads in the process. Basically, it's too much work at this point - maybe some day, but I don't see it anytime soon.

Also, I believe .jpeg files should be supported, but I'll have to check - I'm not sure. I'm going to be doing some testing with the upload system soon, and will make any changes necessary to make it as usable as possible, file wise.

Just as a general note -
If you ever need anything changed about your download, though, feel free to PM me - I can easily change your screenshot, file, description, type, etc. The only thing I can't easily change is the section you place it in (whether it's a roller coaster, sandbox park, etc.) - pretty much everything else can be changed quite easily now that I've coded a management system for the downloads. Tongue
Ok, thats great.
I say they should remain optional, Because I have awesome stuff but I cant make screenshots come up!:cry:
I'm Sumdude and I like it when coasters go boom!
[Image: 2svb23]<<<Please visit him!!! Click the egg or it might Die!
SumDude Wrote:I say they should remain optional, Because I have awesome stuff but I cant make screenshots come up!:cry:
Yeah, that is so unfair!:mad:
I think screenshots should be required. Just about any item worth uploading is something that the creator spent considerable time making, it only take a few minutes longer to create and upload a screenshot. For those that are not familiar with the process of creating and uploading a screenshot, a simple tutuorial can be given. If you go through the proces one time, it becomes easy to do, and does not require any additional software to grab or modify screenshots that isn't available as a free download.

The main problem I have is that while looking through the 500+ downloads, a large number of them have no screenshots or description, so people looking through the files have no idea of what is being offered. Many of these downloads have a filename, and the description is also just a single word that matches the filename. "Station" doesn't tell us exactly what you created or if we might be interested. The other option would be to require that uploads include a more helpfull description, but that would mean that uploads would have to be approved before they could be listed. That is more work for the admins and would slow down the turnaround time on new items.
YES SCREENSHOTS SHOULD BE REQUIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:realmad:[/color]
I wanna know what the dang thing looks like before i download it!
[Image: jackthedogsig.jpg]
Upcoming Projects: Space Oddity, Luke's Big Park, Thrill Valley Theme Park
Screenshots are not going to become required - however, we are going to be making some changes to (hopefully) have less problems when uploading screenshots:
  • Bitmaps will (soon) be allowed
  • All-caps versions of file extensions have already been allowed, in case that was an issue
  • Screenshots will (soon) be automatically renamed to reflect the download ID of your download, to make sure you won't be overwriting someone else's screenshot.
SmileThank You Belloman!Smile

Yes, its great that we will (soon) use bmp images for our downloads, and the image name converter to change the screenshot names! (even though I never saw any point in naming them:glareSmile

But, yes i hope that this is a cool thing in addition to the beta 3 upgrade!:lol:
It'd be epik if we could upload .gif images XD
JK, but it WOULD be cool Tongue
[Image: jackthedogsig.jpg]
Upcoming Projects: Space Oddity, Luke's Big Park, Thrill Valley Theme Park