We're moving!

Well, say someone wants to go to nyancat.cat, but they didn't know to type cat so they went to nyancat.com. They were probably confused because nyancat.com just some search engine with some ads. That means the domain hasn't been bought yet. Nyancat.cat and nyancat.com are two totally different websites. If someone did buy nyancat.com, then you would see a website, but not the same as nyancat.cat. However, if you go to google.com, google.co, google.net, you will go to the well known Google no matter what. I am not sure why that is, but it is.
[Image: AMUDExV.png]
(Apr 3, 2012, 02:36 AM)Speedy Wrote: Hey guys, I'm clearly not a tec-xpert, could somesome shortly tell me the difference between .com and .net, I'm guessing .com has better standards or something? I know nothing, I just help people out, give advice ect.

Generally speaking, most people assume the domain ends in .com if they don't actually pay attention to it being something else. It's just the norm for most major websites to have a .com domain name nowadays. So having the .com is a benefit from that perspective.
Com stands for company, net stands for network, and org stands for organization by the way. Smile
co.uk? Tongue XD
.com means "commercial" and is certainly the most common. A lot of people are used to it. .net was intended for websites involve in the structure of the internet (such as an email server or service provider) And a .org is often used by non profit organizations. Recently they proposed to introduce a bunch of new domains, such as .museum and .travel. Many countries have their own as well, for example, Italy is .it, Montenegro is .me and Canada is .ca. You don't necessarily have to be from that country to register it, but some places you do.
[Image: coaster9hd.png]
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Send me a message
Wow, I feel kind of stupid now, I should know this kind of stuff. Thankyou you kindly explaining, it really has helped alot. Just shows we learn something new every day. Thanks guys.
SEE THE LIGHTNING, FEEL THEBuzz
[Image: 5JU5u.jpg]
Visit my youtube channels: http://www.youtube.com/user/themariobros...ature=mhee / http://www.youtube.com/user/ScootersLegoAndMario
Take a look at my creations: http://rctgo.com/downloads/members/10992
just asking but whats the difference in moving from .net to .com?
aska....abandoned......forgotten....
When RCTgo moves, you will not go to RCTgo when you type rctgo.net (unless it redirects you). I understand the only reason for this is because some people might go to rctgo.com when they hear about it.
(Apr 4, 2012, 12:28 PM)alexwohlbruck Wrote: When RCTgo moves, you will not go to RCTgo when you type rctgo.net (unless it redirects you). I understand the only reason for this is because some people might go to rctgo.com when they hear about it.

You will go to RCTgo when you type in rctgo.net. It will redirect you to rctgo.com, which is where we'll be.

Because .com is most common, we want to be at RCTgo.com. But we'll be keeping the .net as well for backwards compatibility - there's no reason for us to stop using it since we already own it, and the cost of maintaining it in the future is not significant.

We would have been at RCTgo.com all along, but it was owned by someone else for a number of years. We've finally managed to acquire it.
what was RCTgo.com then. what was it about?