New Guy here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and hope can get some help. I'm trying to install RCT 3 Gold and keep getting the following error: Data Error (Cyclic redundancy check)

Is this a compatibility error with windows 7 or an issue with the disk perhaps?

Thanks
Hi!

welcome to Rctgo! Unfortunately, I really doesn't know what that means.... I have RCT3 Platinum on Windows 7. So I wouldn't think it would have to do with Windows 7... hmm Maybe you don't have enough memory or something like that on your computer? I really am not an expert with computers (don't know much about them) lolSmile Hopefully this helpsSmile
Thank you for joining us here at our website.

It would help if you could provide us with some specs. Would you mind posting details of:

CPU
RAM
graphics card
root drive capacity, including how much space is now available
CD/DVD drive

And could you tell us if you've successfully installed RCTGold from this RCTGold disk on another system prior to this unsuccessful install attempt and if you had it successfully installed any time previously on this Windows 7 computer that you now have.
PM's to this member account are not monitored. Please direct all questions/comments here.

Intel Core i5 2.5ghz
6 GB Ram
360 GB free on hard drive 421 GB total
Not sure about the graphics card (all it says under Device Manager, Display Adapters is Intel HD Graphics Family

I have never had it installed on this laptop and I haven't tried to install on another system.

(Mar 24, 2013, 02:44 PM)FlightToAtlantis Wrote: Thank you for joining us here at our website.

It would help if you could provide us with some specs. Would you mind posting details of:

CPU
RAM
graphics card
root drive capacity, including how much space is now available
CD/DVD drive

And could you tell us if you've successfully installed RCTGold from this RCTGold disk on another system prior to this unsuccessful install attempt and if you had it successfully installed any time previously on this Windows 7 computer that you now have.
Just so you know, people have successfully installed and played RCT3 on Windows 7 systems.

Is that the i5-3470 quad-core? If so this processor reviews as an adequate capable processor.
You've got plenty of RAM.
You've got a big enough drive and plenty of space left on it.

You'll find more information on your graphics card by running (Windows) System Information. Until we have this information no one can suggest anything about your graphics card one way or another. (Windows) System Information can also tell us what sort of CD/DVD drive you have.

However, we just might be barking up the wrong tree. According to WikiHow ( http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Cyclic-Redu...heck-Error) a Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) is an error checking technique used by computers, specifically the hard drives or optical disks (i.e., DVD/CD). A Cyclic Redundancy Check error is caused when data on the hard-drive or DVD becomes corrupt.

This suggests the data is not transferring properly either from the CD/DVD or to the hard drive. Since the RCT3 install disk is assumed to be non-rewritable we can assume the problem is your disk. I'd recommend a disk check, a system file check and a defragment to eliminate your disk as the cause of the CRC error. However, having said that, if the same file comes up each time in the error message as having caused the CRC error then it can be assumed the fault is with that particular file on the install CD/DVD, meaning that your disk might be damaged at the place on the disk where that file has been written on it.

If the CRC error was thrown by the hard drive, the cause is likely data being improperly transferred/incorrectly written to the hard drive. This can be caused by either the operating system being corrupt, or a power loss. I would ascertain that the power to your system is steady and confirm you are not having other problems with the system which might indicate the problem is a corrupt operating system.

If after going through these possibilities you are still having problems, you could try installing RCT3 from another RCT3 install disk onto your Windows 7 system under the assumption that your RCT3 disk is faulty (or you could do this step first before considering the above possibilities). You could also try installing RCT3 from your existing RCT3 disk on another operating system to see if you get the same error. If you don't then the problem will more than likely be that the CRC error is being thrown by your hard drive. Also if your system has more than one CD/DVD tray try installing RCT3 on your Windows 7 system using another CD/DVD drive or try another install using an external CD/DVD drive.

I hope you will still let us know more about your processor, CD/DVD drive(s) and graphics card.
PM's to this member account are not monitored. Please direct all questions/comments here.