files are in extention .ovl yet downloads are in .trk

The coaster files in my RCT3 platinum are in the extention .ovl, yet the downloaded frack files are in .trk.  The .trk tracks are not showing up in the coaster list when I play the game.  Also the coasters are not listed in the files either .ovl or anything else.  Where are the coaster files kept and what am I doing wrong.
What system do you play on? Mac, PC. That affects the answer
4 Build it Wins!!! Thanks to everyone who voted for me!!!
Current Project: Learn how to use Parkitect
I am using windows 7 64 bit
You may be looking in the wrong folder, but that's RCT3's fault for having several different potential destinations. This is how to access the folder with .trk files on Windows 7:

Local Disk --> Program Files (x86) --> Atari --> RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 --> Coaster Designs

You may have been looking in the folder labeled tracks rather than Coaster Designs, as the former is where .ovl files live.

But in case that wasn't confusing enough, here's a folder in a completely different location that contains both .trk and .TD6 files:

Documents --> RCT3 --> Coasters

(This is where imported tracks are stored)
[Image: 7sFmb4x.jpg]
¡Viva Mexico!
It CAN be confusing. But I've learned my way around
(Mar 17, 2018, 08:29 PM)Terry Inferno Wrote: You may be looking in the wrong folder, but that's RCT3's fault for having several different potential destinations. This is how to access the folder with .trk files on Windows 7:

Local Disk --> Program Files (x86) --> Atari --> RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 --> Coaster Designs

You may have been looking in the folder labeled tracks rather than Coaster Designs, as the former is where .ovl files live.

But in case that wasn't confusing enough, here's a folder in a completely different location that contains both .trk and .TD6 files:

Documents --> RCT3 --> Coasters

(This is where imported tracks are stored)

I've found them but where do the .dat and .bak files go.  I've downloaded some custom scenery and it is either freezing or I can't find the scenery anywhere.  Being new to this it's a little confusing, eventually I'll find my way around but right now I could use all the help I can get.
Parks (which seem to have the .dat and .bak extension) are located here:

Documents --> RCT3 --> Parks

Custom scenery should be placed here:

Local Disk --> Program Files (x86) --> Atari --> RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 --> Style --> Themed
[Image: 7sFmb4x.jpg]
¡Viva Mexico!
(Mar 20, 2018, 09:40 PM)Terry Inferno Wrote: Parks (which seem to have the .dat and .bak extension) are located here:

Documents --> RCT3 --> Parks

Custom scenery should be placed here:

Local Disk --> Program Files (x86) --> Atari --> RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 --> Style --> Themed

thanks Terry, I appreciate your help

John
(Mar 17, 2018, 06:05 PM)Retsarge Wrote: The coaster files in my RCT3 platinum are in the extention .ovl, yet the downloaded frack files are in .trk.  The .trk tracks are not showing up in the coaster list when I play the game.  Also the coasters are not listed in the files either .ovl or anything else.  Where are the coaster files kept and what am I doing wrong.
I found them in coaster designs thanks a lot.