Why? Just Why?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/a...witch.aspx

No offense, but Roller Coaster Tycoon 3D was a complete and utter failure.  And now this?  Did Atari not learn their lesson the first time?  Honestly, in my opinion, RCT is a game that was made for computers.

What with all the custom content, ride sharing and other things that really allow the game to truly have a community, I just don't see this being viable.  Maybe if they pulled a Wii U version of Super Mario Maker and allowed people to share coasters they've made with each other we might have SOMETHING to work with.

But overall, as much as the idea of a more portable friendly RCT game sounds (because traveling with a laptop can be a pain compared to any handheld gaming system from the original Game Boy to the PS Vita) tempting, I'm not sure if I should trust another non-PC RCT game to be as wonderful as the series has been throughout all it's computer-based installments.

Not to mention 200 attractions but only SEVEN of them are roller coasters? Combine RCT 1, 2, 3 and World together and tell me how many different kinds of coaster types there are. NOT INCLUDING CTRs.

But what are your thoughts on this sudden announcement?
...Can't they just make a port to Switch? That seems to me that it'd be way easier than making a full-fledged new game. :P
Resuming regularly scheduled programming!
Could they just realize they have beat the brand to a pulp?
4 Build it Wins!!! Thanks to everyone who voted for me!!!
Current Project: Learn how to use Parkitect
It's possible.
This doesn't look like a new game based on what has been shown, it looks like they're porting RCTW to Switch (speaking from experience as I've regrettably played RCTW). Regardless, we all know it's going to be just another cash grab that deteriorates the brand name even more.

Considering RCT3 was the last 'good' entry into the franchise, and even that is mediocre in retrospect... they should probably stop trying and just go back to 2D isometric... At least in that space they might have some way to salvage their reputation. Although with Parkitect out in Early Access on Steam I doubt they'd be able to compete.

Long story short: RIP RCT.
Team CoasterTech

The series had a good run. And based off what you said regrets, I can assume World is pretty bad. That would explain all the negative Steam reviews too :/

Please tell me there were at least more then seven roller coaster types in World though.
When it launched there were only ten that you could choose from, although I can't remember which other than a B&M invert, classic woodie, and a B&M Dive Machine. I did regret the purchase because on my laptop (which can run Skyrim/Fallout4/Planet Coaster on max settings with 60 FPS) the game still lagged and crashed because they couldn't be bothered to optimize it.

I have a playlist here of my misadventure into trying it out upon launch before refunding it less than a week later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcqStNn1...FBFjZb4aaI

The coaster editor may have been a step forward for the series, but literally everything else is a step backwards - including the graphics - and the one thing it does right is rendered obsolete by Planet Coaster's far superior coaster editor.
Team CoasterTech

I'd say if they took all the building elements from (scenery, facilities, rides, etc) and stuffed a whole bunch more stuff based off existing CFRs/CTRs as well as ideas for rides that don't have in-game rides or CFRs (like the Hang Gliders, Orbiter, Twister (different from the in-game one) and Tornado I so desperately need to build a recreation of the Miami-Dade Youth Fair) and even a larger number of available concession stands....

Well if you take alllllll that turn the game into one big Sandbox with scenario editor features in it, I'd say you probably have something halfway decent to put on the Switch. As much as I love RCT, I don't think I'll be getting my money's worth if I buy the Switch version of the game...not even "Easier to port around then a laptop" can really save this. Maybe if the Campaign mode is worth playing...

But they'd be better off taking everything that made the first three games great and increasing the content and making THAT instead. Oh well. At least I still have RCT3 to fall back on when I want to build parks.
After watching that wood coaster pov, I'm not sure if it was a true step up...
4 Build it Wins!!! Thanks to everyone who voted for me!!!
Current Project: Learn how to use Parkitect
I should clarify, the editor has the potential to be better, but unless you spend hour upon hour mastering your use of it then it will be worse than the grid-based systems of the past.

The problem is that Atari (Infogrames) has no interest in hiring a developer to make a good game, they simply want to milk the brand name for as much cash as they can.
Team CoasterTech