Build It Competition should it be Anonymous ?

Please show me in the rules where it says all entries need to be Anonymous ?
If the rules were changed shouldn't we update the rules of the competition?
I have an issue with this because it seems when someone enters the competition people want it to be Anonymous .
When people comment in the Build it Competition post sometimes names are mentioned.
If the Competition is truly going to be anonymous shouldn't names be avoided in the comments in the posts?
Then the other problem with the entries being anonymous are the POV. Many of the POV have the same name
as the username on the site. So then the entry is no longer anonymous.
So in my own opinion there is no point to having anonymous entries.

Build it Competition Rules
https://forums.rctgo.com/thread-1023.html
Announcing changes to the Build It! competition
https://forums.rctgo.com/thread-21301.html
(Aug 27, 2017, 03:35 AM)aecrouch2016 Wrote: Please show me in the rules where it says all entries need to be Anonymous ?
I have an issue with this because it seems when someone enters the competition people want it to be Anonymous .
When people comment in the Build it Competition post sometimes names are mentioned.
If the Competition is truly going to be anonymous shouldn't names be avoided in the comments in the posts?
Then the other problem with the entries being anonymous are the POV. Many of the POV have the same name

I think I'm going to post any new entries to build it comps anonymously from here on out. My youtube has the same username so I'll probably need to make a new channel to stay anonymous.
(Aug 27, 2017, 04:03 AM)purvisbrad Wrote:
(Aug 27, 2017, 03:35 AM)aecrouch2016 Wrote: Please show me in the rules where it says all entries need to be Anonymous ?

I think I'm going to post any new entries to build it comps anonymously from here on out. My youtube has the same username so I'll probably need to make a new channel to stay anonymous.
It's completely up to you on what you want to do. However, I don't think you should have to create a new channel just because of this. Then the problem comes with how to view the videos if it's unlisted or private. Because I don't think people can watch private or unlisted videos on this site. I believe it has to be public. Unless you change your name on YouTube which I hope you don't do just because of what happened.
The official side of the whole thing is that names are no longer listed on the entries, if you do attach your name to your entry (which you still can, Justin doesn't censor it) you open the round up to bias towards or against you. We originally made the competition anonymous because people had begun to vote/not vote for certain people just because of who had entered and not because of what they entered (which is childish and frankly, quite stupid).

The best entry in the round should enter, not the person you like the most.

We try to keep a lid on "intentional breaches of anonymity" such as openly saying which is yours in the forums, advertising which is yours in the description of your entry, or disclosing information regarding whose is whose in the forums. We recognize the competition will never be completely anonymous (I help half the users that enter with their projects just as an example), but we try to keep it as anonymous as possible to prevent people voting via user-bias.

As for POV's and YouTube channels, we don't see a problem with an anonymity breach there, because in that case people are taking the time to actively look at the entries in the competition as opposed to just reading the entered names and voting for your favorite.

Just as an example: If PurvisBrad, SupraTheHedgehog, Myself, and then Silvarret all enter a round, who do you think people will vote for if it isn't anonymous? The silent majority on site will likely see "Oh, Silvarret entered!?" *instantly click to vote for him* - Now in this example of course you see three people that are known on site, and someone that used to frequent here before making it big on YouTube. Even if Silv's wasn't the best in the round (which is unlikely, but he could enter a joke project if he ever came back) he'd garner votes regardless of the quality of his project just because he's Silvarret and people know he is one of the best in the community.

Another example: Back when I first joined up on site I entered three rounds back to back. Round 209 (when I entered Manta) there was controversy, https://forums.rctgo.com/thread-21047.html, (go figure right?), regarding people not voting for certain users simply because they were that user. Slurp brought the issue to the forefront, saying he was sick of "B&M's and of Chris winning." One is a, to be frank, stupid way of voting (because if the B&M is the best it should win as it's the best present), and the other is caused by having our name next to our entry. Had he not known I made Manta perhaps he would have liked it more, he still wouldn't have voted for it because he was "sick of B&M's", but you never know when people do this as we have a large amount of voters who never post in the forums.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are legitimate reasons why we are where we are today with the competition. We've successfully eliminated one bias by making the entries anonymous (user bias), the only bias left that sways the competition heavily at times is the 3D bias (which we unfortunately don't have a fix for...).
Team CoasterTech

Can you show me anything in writing in the Competition Rule section where it says what you've stated? If not here is a  simple solution update the rules. But it's up to Justin on what he wants to do.
The competition rules do not require the creator of an entry to keep their entry anonymous. We give all users who enter in the competition the ability to remain anonymous by not listing the creator on the voting page. Requiring entries to remain completely anonymous would be extremely burdensome for the reasons Chris mentioned above. Users who choose to reveal that they created a certain entry, either on the forums, through a POV video, or elsewhere, do so at their own risk.
I agree with you Justin. But if you want my opinion, anonymity makes a competition like this more interesting. Plus its an unfair advantage if the creator of an entry just totally discloses that they're the creator. Its like saying "Vote for me, vote for me" when that particular entry may not even deserve it.
I agree with Vanellope. Having anonymity in these rounds save for those who actually want to have a win, and not be ridiculed simply because that person entered, or "this person entered, and I am voting for him because he entered." It is not fair, and I believe that is one of the fair reasons why we have anonymous rounds in the Build It! competition; which, to a full extent, I appreciate.

Thank you for clearing this up, Justin. Smile
Resuming regularly scheduled programming!
@purvisbrad just going to point out that if you were to make a youtube channel to stay completely anonymous, you would have to make a new channel every entry because after one entry people could see it in the downloads section under your name and would then associate that fake channel with you

I thought just the idea was that you could find the creators if you really wanted to, but you can do an ignorance is bliss thing, as finding would the creators would take some of your own research, heck if you dont want anything dont read the descriptions, if you want it to be that anonymous, but if you do want to know the creators you can use youtube channels and stuff, just don't let it influence your vote
[Image: ZCL35lY.jpg]

(Aug 28, 2017, 04:09 PM)naveisawesome Wrote: @purvisbrad just going to point out that if you were to make a youtube channel to stay completely anonymous, you would have to make a new channel every entry because after one entry people could see it in the downloads section under your name and would then associate that fake channel with you

I thought just the idea was that you could find the creators if you really wanted to, but you can do an ignorance is bliss thing, as finding would the creators would take some of your own research, heck if you dont want anything dont read the descriptions, if you want it to be that anonymous, but if you do want to know the creators you can use youtube channels and stuff, just don't let it influence your vote

Ah yes good point.